Yet another classic - Smith & Wesson 19 :)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Mar 1, 2012.

1. I just picked up this beautiful 6" S&W 19-6 at my local shop for $350 OTD. :banana:

The 19 is one Smith that I've always wanted but never bought before now. As you can see, its in very nice condition and the price was certainly right. Though I don't have the exact year of manufacture, I believe this version of the 19 was introduced in the late 80's. I would have preferred an older pinned and recessed model, but I guess I have enough pinned Smiths at this point. I do like the fact that it has the flat style front sight instead of the ramped version. I've always preferred both the looks and the sight picture better with the flat type.

The bluing is in like new condition, but is definitely more matte in appearance than some of my older Smith revolvers.

Anyway, I've always wanted one of these classic K-Frames and now I have it. These pics aren't the greatest, but I'll take some new ones when I have better lighting.

Any thoughts on the 19? Thanks!

By the way, this is the fifth classic vintage handgun that I've found in excellent to near mint condition so far in 2012.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Picked up another classic S&W General Firearms Forum Jul 30, 2013
    I picked up another nice classic Walther. :):) General Firearms Forum May 26, 2013
    I picked up yet another classic S&W model 10 :):) General Firearms Forum May 8, 2013
    Picked up another beautiful classic Blackhawk :):) General Firearms Forum Mar 30, 2013
    Buying another classic S&W - need help dating General Firearms Forum Mar 20, 2013

3. Very cool! Nothing beats a classic Smith.

4. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

Nice Hand Cannon you picked up!!! I bet its a great shooter as well.
  5. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

Great to see a fella in need get a break, bac. LOL
  6. Thanks.

I hope to take it to the range this weekend. :)
  7. I think you should buy as many lotto tix as possible.

How did the LGS NOT know it's atleast a $500.00 gun????
  8. No collection is ever complete without certain guns. The model 19 is one of them. Great price, congrats!

9. Beautiful.

Dummy question, what caliber is it?
  10. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Congrats Bac. I've owned a couple old 19's over the years, mine both had the recessed cylinders. I had a 4inch made in 69 and a 6 inch just like yours made around 72 I believe. The 6 inch is still in the family, the 4 inch was traded out a few years ago.

My dad was a cop for 30 years, so the first gun I ever fired in my life was a S&W I've got a soft spot for them.

Being an K frame, stick with .38 Special for the most part if you're just plinking. They weren't meant to digest magnums all day long...thus the introduction of the L frame.

They're excellent revolvers though. You'll love it. It's a pleasure to shoot, especially with the 6 inch barrel.
  11. It was priced a little higher, but I've been one of their best customers for many years. :cool:

They hook me up on occasion. :supergrin:
  12. Sorry.

357 mag :cool:
  13. Thank you, my friend.

Yeah, the 586 and 686 L frame revolvers are stronger for sure.

I also own a big N frame 27. :)
  14. Exactly my thoughts :wavey:

Very nice collection, by the way.
  15. Berto

Berto woo woo

Damn, $350 is screaming for that gun. Congrats!!!
  16. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

You are definitely on a roll, bac.......:supergrin:

Nice one.....that 19

17. Thankyou! :supergrin::wavey:
  18. Bruce M

A very nice addition - hope you enjoy shooting it. According to Mr. Supica and Mr. Nahas the Model 19 was originally the .357 Combat Magnum and was first offered in 1955. Originally it was only in 4" and in blue or nickel. Bill Jordan, famous Border Patrolman and shooter urged Smith and Wesson to offer the .357 Magnum in something smaller than the N frame.
  19. Looks great Brian! :thumbsup:
  20. Thanks Berto.

It didn't have the box or papers, but it was still a great deal.
  21. Bac, congrats. That is a nice example. Awesome price on it too. I have a 4" version that I paid 400 for and thought that was a good deal. Again congrats. Very nice.