close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yea... I'm not a liberal anymore.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by coleslaw, Aug 8, 2012.

1. coleslaw

coleslaw

With everything from the tragic shootings lately to the Chick Fil A hooplah I have just noticed that the extreme left are just responsible for the polarization of the American people as the far extreme right are.

I never thought I would not be a liberal, always grew up with Democratic values, union blue collar family, I'm a minority... But I can't deal with the left anymore. There are alot of reasons to many to type but mainly I just wanted to vent and maybe the young people on the far left that think the liberals can do nothing wrong, I say to you.. "Just open your eyes and ears a little bit more... These liberals that impose their beliefs and values on you are just about as fair and balanced as that Fox News channel all Liberals hate"

Oddly enough the more people I talk to face to face seem like they have values and thoughts that line up with the Libertarian party, I wonder if that party will ever gain any traction...

I may not line up with the right, but I'm def done with being a stone cold left liberal. Maybe Ron Paul is my guy.

If anyone would like to share the moment when they moved away from the left I would appreciate reading it and I will share in details why I can't identify with the left anymore. PLEASE and I mean PLEASE KEEP IT CLEAN AND CIVIL. I don't wish to bash any different groups of people, ethnicities, women or men etc.

2. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

I hear you. I grew up in an EXTREMELY liberal family, im talking greenpeace, peacecorps, UUA religion......but as i got older and older i realized that the far left, is just as off center as the far right.

I have views on both sides. If someone attacks our country, we should blow them up. But i believe we should also care for the environment. I believe people should be free, but i dont believe in handouts....

So i've found myself in this bracket "Constitutionalism"

This means.......I believe in the US Constitution, and upholding the rights it gives. Outside of that....i think people should be able to do whatever the heck they please, as long as they are not physically harming others.

If you want to be gay, be gay. If you want to disagree with gay peoples, disagree. But dont control what they do because you dont think THEY should.

Basically i believe in our country, i believe in war, i believe in conservation, i believe in human rights, i believe in self sufficiency.

I am right in the dang middle of Reps and Dems..........with a whole lot of American ontop of it :)

3. nmk

nmk

I grew up with strong influences from the left and right. Luckily I realized that both were ridiculous and I started thinking for myself. It's a good feeling.

4. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

Exactly! Parents, influences, teachers all try to force you to believe what they believe........but if you go through life believing everything you hear, without thinking for yourself and forming your own opinions and beliefs ...........your just a sheep in a large flock moving towards the edge of a cliff at a rapid rate.

5. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

6. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Ron Paul is hugely anti-war, whereas I subscribe to Von Clausewitz's maxim of "War is the continuation of politics by other means". There's a time and place for it, in other words.

To that end, I think Paul has isolationist views, which was not only the downfall of Pat Buchanan, but is simply an impossibility in this world, today.

Just an observation. Welcome to the Right Side, Cole, where decisions are based on rational thought AS WELL AS human response.

7. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

I believe the downfall of Pat Buchanan was his racism..........i mean if you google him the first thing that pops up is "Pat Buchanan the racist"..........just a thought haha

8. RCP

RCP

I've never been a liberal but I myself have also turned into a Libertarian over the years due to seeing too many similarities between liberals and so called "conservatives". Welcome!:wavey:

9. captainstormy

captainstormy

I can somewhat feel where the OP is comming from, but my family and its upbringing was as far right as you could get.

The republicans could do no wrong and the democrats could do no right.

Overall I'm fairly central. My personal views fall more into the libatarion (spelled that wrong, sorry I'm on my phone) point of view.

10. greentriple

greentriple

It's a fun an complicated life. Good luck I finding what suits you, it's probably a plurality of theories. I say keep an open mind, stay away from the edge of the cliffs and remember, blind faith will get you killed, and likely others too.

p.s. I think of myself as a Progressive Libertarian.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

No such animal

12. coleslaw

coleslaw

Agree, my extreme left liberal friends and extreme right conservative friends look at me like I'm a alien because I support civil rights equality and hope one day for equal financial and Gov't benefits for homosexuals but don't support gay marriage if marriage is being defined as a holy sacrament. I believe war is neccesary but I also beleive we need to find solutions to preserve our environment. I'm a strong 2nd amendment supporter but I do beleive regualtion in other areas can deter some mass shootings. It's like I'm not "Liberal" enough for my friends.

I just love how the Liberals got all up in arms about one man sharing his views on the definition of marriage. He was not saying Chick Fil A hates gays, he wasn't saying "As the president and representative of chick fil a I speak for all employees when I say this"... He was excersising his right to free speech and because of that Mayors spoke out and said that they won't allow his business in their towns... Really? Now who is infringing on who's right to free speech? Huh?

You know what. I'm black, I faced stiff opposition for dating outside my race. Should we exile those people from our city's as well? No, that's just their own personal view, as long as they aren't infringing on my rights or hurting me then whatever dude. I don't need people to like me, I need my fellow Americans and neighbors to be civil with me. I just wish the Liberals would stop forcing on us that we need to like everyone. NO WE DON'T... IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. We NEED to be civil and contribute to this country instead of worrying about who's feelings get hurt because the guy that makes chicken sandwiches doesn't think gay people should get married.

And don't get me wrong, there is harm in discriminating but there is also a clear line in discriminating and sharing your own personal views within the first Amendment and doing it in a civil manner. None of our leaders or "Journalist's" do that anymore they all yell at each other on TV. That's the example they set for my generation of how to solve America's problems when we get older... (sigh)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  13. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco NRA Life Member

When I was growing up I didn't give much thought politics. I took everything NBC News and Tom Brokaw said as the truth. I believed our country was fine during the Clinton years. I even voted for Al Gore (thank God he didn't win or screwed as the left says he was).

Then Bush came in, 9/11 happened, the factories and companies here started moving to Mexico. The conspirators were out in full force talking inside jobs, uncalled for wars. Sadly, I fell into that pit of despair of hating our government and Bush. Even though I wasn't happy with McCain running for office, I sure didn't want Obama to win.

Then the healthcare war started 2 years ago and I jumped on that Tea Party bandwagon. Getting into arguments with friends over it. Blaming Democrats for our rotten lives.

Then I just started realizing after awhile you know every party has an agenda they want to force on America. Since I became a gun owner for the first time this year, I realized that living in Kentucky which is at the top of the gun control party's hit list, that most of the laws introduced and signed into law here strengthening gun rights were brought to the floor by Democrats and the laws passed by an overwhelming majority on both sides.

So I made the decision that I'll support the people no matter what letter is next to their name if they stand up and fight for us. It reminds of the people in the South in the 1950's who said that television is the devil. Well it has become that along with the internet and more people who stand up and think independently for themselves tend to live happier lives.

If I consider myself anything, I would say I'm moderate leaning towards conservatism on most subjects.

14. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

I started out as a liberal... a year of teaching in a public high school was the first real eye-opener. Then a year as an insurance claims adjuster handling life and disability claims. Then a close encounter with a cougar, resulting in the realization that firearms are good things, and bigger is better. A few other incidents contributed. Then there was the fact that I simply had more respect for the conservatives in my life, because they were more honest and less hypocritical than the liberals. Also, they could still think straight, not being stoned, which gets tiresome. It took about 4 years (1991-1995). By then every last liberal tendency I had was just about dead, and I became the arch-conservative black sheep of the family. I'm okay with that. I have better friends now.

Mrs.Cicero

15. coleslaw

coleslaw

Amen. And Roll Tide!!!

16. BEER

BEER bad example

there's a quote i can't quite remember, or who wrote it, but it's something loosely along the lines of ....

any man that is not a liberal before he is 25 is a fool, and any man who is a liberal after 25 is a bigger fool.

17. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

Cole, do you mind if I ask how old you are?

The way I've heard this quote is, "If you're 20 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 40 years ond and not a conservqative, you have no brains".

18. captainstormy

captainstormy

That's how I've always heard it.

19. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I thought I was a liberal through the Bush years. I guess I had my political awakening during that time. Before that I didn't keep up with politics. So naturally, I thought I was a liberal. Now I think the same way about Obama and his administration as I did Bush and his. I see the Obama supporters blindly following anything and everything democrat, just like the republicans did with Bush. I watch people bicker like 3 year olds over who they'd rather screw us and I realize that they're not patriots, they're gamblers at the horse track wearing those green tinted sun vizors. The only thing they care about is their "pony" in the race. I don't have much faith in any politician doing anything good. It just baffles me to see people show such blind devotion to anyone with the correct letter in front of their name.

As for liberal or conservative at this point in my life, I have to go back to a quote I use quite frequently because it's spot on with how I feel.

"I hate conservatives but I really ****ing hate liberals." - Matt Stone

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  20. coleslaw

coleslaw

Ha. Just turned 26 this past June. I never heard that quote but that's cool.