close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Yamaha Raider

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by pesticidal, Feb 10, 2008.

1. pesticidal

pesticidal
    Expand Collapse
    Eh?
    CLM

Yeah, there's a few things I don't like about the looks, but I sat on one last weekend, and would really like to move up to one of these from my V-Star.

[​IMG]

Awesome power, and from the reports I've seen, handles very well for a big bike.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Halojumper

Halojumper
    Expand Collapse

I sat on one at the dealer. It seemed comfortable, but the pipes look stupid. It has gotten good reports from the mags, so far. They rate it higher than the Harleys (like that's a surprise).

3. pesticidal

pesticidal
    Expand Collapse
    Eh?
    CLM

I've got a butt without a lot of padding, I thought the seat was pretty hard.

I didn't like the pipes at first, but the more I look at them, the better they get somehow.

I'm 6' and have fairly long arms, so the handlebars fit pretty well, but I think a short driver might have a tough time on long trips with the standard setup.

4. codivecop

codivecop
    Expand Collapse

And just how long are these rides you speak of?????:whistling:

:wavey:

:harley: :supergrin:

5. pesticidal

pesticidal
    Expand Collapse
    Eh?
    CLM

Nothing like what you do, hard-ass...

:supergrin:

6. codivecop

codivecop
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fnfalman

fnfalman
    Expand Collapse
    Chicks Dig It

Firm seats are good for long ride. You don't want sagging foam for seat cushions.

8. Halojumper

Halojumper
    Expand Collapse

It still has to be a balance. A board is nice and firm, but you wouldn't want to ride on that very long.

9. White Buffalo

White Buffalo
    Expand Collapse
    No Compromise.

They ever get the valve problem taken care of in those motors?

10. White Buffalo

White Buffalo
    Expand Collapse
    No Compromise.

Cool, so in 7 years, when you need to do a top end rebuild on it, it shouldn't be a problem finding parts to do it.... oh wait, that's right, they'll have already moved on to the next "greatest thing", making that bike and most parts for it obsolete. Eh, I'll pass.

11. pesticidal

pesticidal
    Expand Collapse
    Eh?
    CLM

Looks like someone has an erection problem with Yamaha.

I've had a Harley. Still trying to get rid of the oil stain in my garage. Harley's also had some issues with cams, and have also moved on to the latest and greatest engine design.

12. Halojumper

Halojumper
    Expand Collapse

What you say might be true, but if you're going to be so afraid of that that you stay with outdated technology that you know will never be updated, then I suppose that's your choice. BTW, my more then ten year old Valkyrie is past that magical 7 year rebuild point and there is no sign of it needing anything other than regular scheduled maintenance. I prefer to buy a bike, based on function, not fear. YMMV

13. White Buffalo

White Buffalo
    Expand Collapse
    No Compromise.

I got no problem with yamaha, except the horror stories I hear from my buddy that works at the maintenance dept. of American motorsports here in nashville. Hondas, great.... yamaha, not so much...
    And just to show I'm not biased, I'll post pics of my xs650 chopper when I get home from work... The japs did an alright job copying the design from the brits, they just cheaped out in several depts of that motor, mainly electrical. And that's a trend they aven't seemed to stop.

Not a harley or nothing kind of guy, I like R1's just fine... love riding my buddys. Their star bikes are disposable though. If that fits your bill, have at it, me, I like the fact that I'm gonna be able to rebuild my motor anytime it may need it. How many 50 year old metrics (other than the brits) you see rolling around just fine, putting real miles on them? Me, not many. There's a reason for that.

14. White Buffalo

White Buffalo
    Expand Collapse
    No Compromise.

My motor is quite updated than what they had many years ago, small improvements is all it needs. If your happy with your Val, great (actually, best bike hondas built IMHO), but how many miles are on that odometer?

15. Halojumper

Halojumper
    Expand Collapse

You don't see too many 50 year old ones because they didn't make any real road bikes back then. But if you look at when they started making more road worthy bikes, and really look at it closely, I don't think you are going to find that the Harleys are the ones with the longevity and miles. Of course, everybody knows that one Harley guy with a million miles, but he is, by far, the exception, not the rule.

16. Halojumper

Halojumper
    Expand Collapse

It's mostly used as a commuter bike, so not all that many, really. It's just a tad short of 45k. I do know a number of Valk and Wing riders who are well into six figures, while I can't say I know any HD riders who are. That was true even back when I rode Harleys and wouldn't hang out with metric riders. Plus, around here, you don't see many Harley riders if it is below about 50 degrees. But, hey, they look and sound cool. It's all about the lifestyle... :rofl:

17. White Buffalo

White Buffalo
    Expand Collapse
    No Compromise.

go take a look around your local 1% bar/clubhouse and take a look at the mileage on some of those bikes. Might change your view a bit.

18. Halojumper

Halojumper
    Expand Collapse

There's a reason they are called 1%ers. They are a small, and relatively insignificant, segment of the biking population.

19. White Buffalo

White Buffalo
    Expand Collapse
    No Compromise.

not gonna get into an internet arguement with a stranger about clubs and their importance, or your viewed lack there of, but they put the miles on their harley's, regardless of weather, that you say people don't... Ride what you like man, really. Safe travels to you and yours.

20. Halojumper

Halojumper
    Expand Collapse

As I said earlier, I said most don't. When I said insignificant, I meant statistically. I still contend that you can't generalize about any group based on 1% of them. As far as social insignificance, that's a whole other discussion.