close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XS Big Dot Sights

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Cruiser1, Sep 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruiser1

Cruiser1
    Expand Collapse
    Still Alive

Does anyone have any experience or feedback on the XS Big Dot Sights. With ageing eyes I am starting to have problems with getting a good clear sight picture. These look to be a viable option.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 6StringGeek

6StringGeek
    Expand Collapse
    full-time n00b

:popcorn: This emoticon indicates that I am interested in future responses to this thread.

#2 6StringGeek, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  3. Cruiser1

Cruiser1
    Expand Collapse
    Still Alive

If you think that this is not a valid question and you have nothing useful to say, Why make any comment at all?

4. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER
    Expand Collapse

Try DECAF, the popcorn means the person is also interested in hearing the answers to the question.. jeez... what the hell is it with people? After 600 posts you should know that.

#4 RYT 2BER, Sep 4, 2011
  5. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846
    Expand Collapse

6. Cruiser1

Cruiser1
    Expand Collapse
    Still Alive

Actually I don't believe that is what the popcorn emocon means at all. It is a sarcastic statement meaning the person posting it thinks that he or she has seen this same question many times and is expecting a fight to start over the responses.

7. Cruiser1

Cruiser1
    Expand Collapse
    Still Alive

8. 6StringGeek

6StringGeek
    Expand Collapse
    full-time n00b

Actually, it's because I am interested in hearing the answer also. Was thinking about getting some as my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Next time I'll put "tagged" when I need to mark a thread for future reference.

#8 6StringGeek, Sep 4, 2011
  9. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

I also have aging eyes and I have a set of the Big Dots on a G26. They work well for me; however the TruGlo TFOs are a bit easier for my eyes to pick up in many conditions. I have had no issues with the TFOs however some have and suggest they may not be as strong. I don't think I have ever read of anyone have a failure with the Big Dots.

10. randyc74

randyc74
    Expand Collapse

I have a set on my edc Glock 27. I have aging eyes myself and the Big Dots provide me with a bit faster target acquisition.

[​IMG]

11. ron59

ron59
    Expand Collapse
    Bustin Caps

They're fine, great maybe, for a carry weapon..... where you probably only shoot out to 10 yards.

You start getting out past 15 yards, you might as well have no sights at all. I shoot 2 USPSA and 1 IDPA match a month, can't say I see anyone use them there.

#11 ron59, Sep 4, 2011
  12. randyc74

randyc74
    Expand Collapse

Good point Ron. I only run them on my G27 which is my preferred off duty/ccw pistol. I have stock sites on my other 3 Glocks

13. Screwdriver

Screwdriver
    Expand Collapse

I am also looking at the Big Dots and only care about 10 yards and quick acquisition....for my old eyes.:shocked:

14. prscustom

prscustom
    Expand Collapse

So what would be a good set of sights that works for both quick aquisission and food out to 25 yardsish.

15. righteoushoot

righteoushoot
    Expand Collapse
    Deluxe Member

I like them. I have just the front sight on one gun and the front and rear on another. My eyes have also changed in the last few years.

I feel they are easier to pick up quickly for a "Tactical" target aquisition if you are in a hurry, but still have the luxury to align front sight before touch off. (Not that I have done so in other than a controlled setting. :supergrin: )

I feel personally that I lose a little precision when "target" shooting, but probably could improve results if I dedicated more time. However, most will tell you that they are for SD more so than target. :wavey:

#15 righteoushoot, Sep 4, 2011
  16. jamaicanj

jamaicanj
    Expand Collapse

I tried big dot sights on a g23 and found up close under 15 yards pretty quick. Beyond that was pretty dismal for me...though I was not committed to training with the system to see if I could get used to them.

There is a guy on YouTube that makes amazing far shots with bigdots, though that is not representative of the average shooter...just goes to show that they can work out to distance

Edited to add vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#16 jamaicanj, Sep 4, 2011
  17. IT0

IT0
    Expand Collapse

I have the little dot on my EDC, but my vision still pretty good. However, I shoot with an older crowd who do not share my good fortune in eye sight and the general consensus among them has been that the big dot are great for those with vision issues.

I hope that helps and BTW the XS sights are some of my favorite so far and I have tried a few others.

18. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

As many have said it really depends what you are using them for. I have them on all my back-up/ carry guns (G30, G19, S & W 637), my work shotgun (rem 870), patrol rifle (Colt LE6920), But my duty gun (G21) still wears 3 dot trijicons. XS are great sights when using them for what they are designed for, quick target acquisition in short range encounters. If you are looking for a replacement to your range sights there are probably better options, but if you are looking for an excellent sight for your carry gun you'd be hard pressed to do better. Side note all the guys at XS are great to work with, i love going in there to get another set :)

19. JimBianchi

JimBianchi
    Expand Collapse
    Da Da
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

They are on my three year old G26. The XS took some getting used to. I have had GLOCK factory night site on my G30 for 6+ years and the site picture is not the same for precision shooting.

For fast double taps they can't be beat. My ability to acquire the site in my peripheral vision in low light is much improved.

But a year or so ago I started point shooting at 7m and less. No sites are used, strictly muscle memory and body position.

Regardless of sites, gun or caliber, lethal hits are MUCH faster, especially on multiple targets. I am convert and big fan of point shooting.

The XS site does allow for much faster, more accurate low-light-to-no-light and 15m and beyond hits and for that purpose alone, I recommend them.

20. Cruiser1

Cruiser1
    Expand Collapse
    Still Alive

Thank you for all the responses, What I have is a new Gen 4 G27 with factory Glock night sights. I was thanking of moving the night sights over to my Gen 3 G35. The nights sights on it are getting pretty weak. I will be using the G27 for EDC primarly for defense and the XS Big Dot Sights looked to be perfect for that. The stock G35 is used mainly for GSSF matches and bed side w/light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.