close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Xp

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by rimfire22, Dec 26, 2004.

1. rimfire22

rimfire22

Sep 15, 2002
    michigan
    My father in law has an old machine I think it is a 400. Can it run XP. He does not do alot with it except browse and e-mail. I just feel xp would be earier for him to use.

2. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

May 22, 2003
    North Carolina
    I have XP on my old HP and it has made it MUCH better. It is a P3 500mhz with 384 mb of RAM.

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Oct 23, 2001
    HotLanta, GA
  4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    One piece of advice: DO A FULL INSTALL. You can buy the cheaper Upgrade CD, but remove the old partition first! It'll just ask to see the Win9x disk (to prove you've already been robbed by the M$ licensing fees) before it'll let you install XP.

Back up all of the vital data and then reformat the drive as an NTFS volume before installing XP.

Upgrading XP on a FAT32 filesystem can cause no end of ridiculous problems. Avoid it at all costs.

5. erikd65

erikd65

Sep 26, 2004
    Spokane, Washington
    Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional
    • PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

E

6. SamBuca

SamBuca

Aug 9, 2002
    Carlisle, PA
    My former desktop is a p3/550 with 384 ram and 36 gig scsi drive. It isn't exactly the fastest machine out there, but it ran XP.

7. jack19512

jack19512

Aug 14, 2003
    Hazard Ky
    I have a Gateway 450 with 128MB of ram and I run XP Pro, runs great.

8. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Mar 28, 2001
    SW Oregon
    You can also just start the XP CD while the old OS is running; there is an app on it that checks the PC's readiness for an XP install.

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

Apr 19, 2003
    Montana
    I have XP running on an AMD K6-II 450 with just over 300 MB of RAM. Haven't have a hitch...except the normal AMD/ Windoze glitches. Actually, XP was a vast improvement over Win98