close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

XM193; Poor Google fu

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by glock22357, Feb 18, 2010.

1. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

Mar 1, 2004
    Benton Harbor, MI
    I spent some time checking the Algore-web trying to find concrete info on XM193, and if it really is a hotter load than M193. I found one reference that said that XM193 is really M193 that the military rejected.

I'm interested because this is what I keep in my 16", 1/9 twist M&P15T, and I'd like to know if this is the best FMJ round given my barrel length and twist. I also read that with the 55 gr. M/XM193 rounds, the twist rate really isn't that important, it's only when heavier bullets are used that the twist rate becomes important.

I did find some good info discussing fragmentation of M193, and that velocities need to be above 2700 fps for fragmentation to realiably occur.
    From what I read, XM193 does about 3075 fps. from a 16" barrel, and keeps above 2700 fps out to about 150-200 yards.

So my questions are:

-Is X/M193 (55 gr.) the proper bullet weight ammo for my rifle (vrs. heavier 62 & 77 gr. rounds) given the twist rate and barrel length of my rifle?
    -What is the real difference between XM193 and M193 ammo?
    -Does barrel twist rate effect velocity to an appreciable degree?

I hunted for answers to these questions before I posted this, but my google-fu was weak today!:rofl:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010

2. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Sep 24, 2003
    NoVA
    Optimal twist/weight is:

1/9 - 55gr - M193
    1/7 - 62gr - M855

77gr (MK 262 MOD 0/1) will not stabilize, and will most likely keyhole from a 1/9.

XM193 didn't meet contract specs and it's better to recoup some cost and sell it off than throw it away or remanufacture. I think someone's told you a tale...

No.

3. Constructor

Constructor Moderator

Dec 10, 2009
    Roaming
    Winchester White Box is M193 for all practical purposes, works great in a 9 twist and available at Wally World cheap.

Some times I run across the Malayisian M193, it's pretty good surplus and hits the required velocity from a 20"
    IMO the M193 55gr FMJ will have better terminal effects than M855 from a shorter barrel weapon.

4. HogGlocker

HogGlocker Owner Since 88'

as stated, XM193 is MIL contract ammo that did not meet final MIL inspection [for whatever reason], hence the X designator.

I have a 1/7 twist and a 1/9. The M193 does shoot better in the 1/9 and my M855 [contract ammo] shoots better in the 1/7....marginally.

Inside of the ranges I shoot at [generally <200m] I am still able to take care of my target quite well regardless of the ammo I use in either twist rate.