close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

xl650 help

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by rpgman, Dec 5, 2011.

1. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    On the last round I was going to do on 9mm n then change to .40 I have a primer stuck almost sideways jammed into one of the holes in the primer ring.

I have the primer system out but how do I go about getting the jammed primer out?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana

3. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I did call Dillon, and I said I would get the primer system out.
    Well, I did that, now I guess I need to call them to get a new one.

Greg

4. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Hit it with a big hammer... or buy a LNL. :whistling:

Jack

5. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    no way, im not banging anything with a big hammer.

6. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    You should be able to remove the primer system completely off the press, remove the primer magazine tube and take off the screw that holds the primer wheel shim. That should break everything loose.

7. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Better Call Dillion

[​IMG]

8. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    You should be able to push it out. Unless I miss understand what you are saying. Lot of times I use the stick part of a Q-tip the ones that have a wooden handle or stick.how ever you want to call them.

9. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    thanks Bob that worked.

I used the wood end of one of those Q-tips.
    Greg

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Make sure the brass tip on the primer tube and the disc are free of burrs and nicks. You should have spares in your spare parts kit. I wonder why it went in sideways?

11. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Make sure the magazine shield cap is down tight. The two primer system mounting bolts are tight. If you have any bounce in your reloading bench that could cause that also.

12. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence

gotcha, thanks.
    I'm changing calibers tonight and I'll make sure those bolts are tight.

13. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Also make sure the screw that holds the primer support shim is on tight. Since it is a new press. The person putting the primer magazine assembly together might not have tightened it down all the way. And you do have the small primer disk installed.

14. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    I do, but I'm going to check anyway when I change calibers.

15. snowwdog

snowwdog snowwdog

Nov 30, 2011
    georgia
    i had that same problem and it turned out to be to much bounce. My reloading table doesnt give any now and the whole press runs smoother.

16. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    It's not the bench or Press moving. Mine is stable.

Now I have an issue with the priming system. It will rotate all day long if there are no primers in the primer disc. As soon as the first primer gets to the primer pusher, it won't rotate on the down stroke. It will stop the down stroke half way through. If I lower the press n then nudge the Primer Indexing Arm and then pull the handle, it will rotate the priming disc. I think the jam I had screwed the priming system up.

Im going to have to call Dillon today to get a new priming system.

I've also noticed, when I switched from 9mm to .40, while testing the priming, that when it primes, the primer punch isn't seating the primer fully. Is it also necessary to adjust the primer punch when switching calibers, even if your using the same primer Disc. (Small pistol)?
    Greg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  17. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Small punch, small disk for both 9 and 40. Make sure the punch is screwed in all the way. I would say your shell plate is too loose. There is no adjustment on seating depth for you to make. If you take off the primer magazine off? When you put it back on. Start the two bolts in then push the handle forward. The primer punch will protrude through the primer disk. With the handle still forward tighten the two bolts.
    Your other problem call Dillon.

18. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    Thanks, I did call Dillon just now and they think it might be several things to check first.

1st, make sure the shell plate isn't loose. If the shell plate is loose it might cause the primer indexing not to index and not seat the primer fully.

2nd, make sure the adjustment to the primer station locator tab is adjusted for the .40 caliber (it came with 9mm on it and I was loading 9mm when the jam happened)....it should be a business card width away.

3rd, make sure the camming pin was adjusted for .40 caliber.

If that doesn't work, call Dillon back.

19. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    What is that?

20. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Jul 27, 2011
    Florence
    it's the adjustment for pushing the case into station 1 when it comes out of the case feeder.

page 38 and 39 of the xl650 Manual.