close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

XFCE Desktop

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Linux3, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Linux3

Linux3
    Expand Collapse

I don't like KDE 4.X and switched to Gnome kicking and screaming.
    Gnome 3.X is the pits IMHO.
    Unity...... Shudder to think.

I installed XFCE and I like it!
    http://www.ghacks.net/2010/07/07/installing-and-using-xfce-4/
    It's a light weight, or maybe middle weight would be better, desktop that just gets out of the way and lets you get things done.

If you like the rotating cube and plasmoids and an animated background then it's not for you but if you switch windows a lot and use a terminal and like getting down in the bowels of the machine, have a look.

Last night at our LUG we had a discussion of XFCE vs. LXDE vs. Unity.
    Gotta love an OS with choice.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. captainstormy

captainstormy
    Expand Collapse

I've been a Gnome user since shortly after first getting into Linux in 2003ish.

I can't stand Gnome 3 though. Tried switching to KDE 4, but that just reminded me why I was a gnome user.

I kinda like XFCE. I will say that it is a bit of a step down from Gnome 2, but largely better then Gnome 3.

3. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

I've used XFCE since it came out. It originally had a live Knoppix CD to promote it. I had an old PC that didn't have enough memory to run KDE in Knoppix but the original XFCE CD ran great. Not long ago there was bug that caused one version of XFCE to conflict with one version of the Linux kernel. Knoppix now uses LXDE.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I've always been a Gnome guy, till Gnome 3. Man, talk about a total mess. I have never liked KDE.

XFCE, I like.. but IMO, XFCE 4, isn't much "lighter" than the current versions of Gnome and KDE. It just feels very bloated to me. I think part of that though, might be just Xubuntu, and general Ubuntu bloat. I've generally been happy w/ XFCE on Fedora and Debian. I really liked XFCE 3.

That said, I'm 100% sold on LXDE. It has a sexy simplicity to it that I just love. If there was one thing I don't particularly care for, it's pcmanfm(the file manager).... It's not bad, but it could be better.

IGF

#4 IndyGunFreak, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

XFCE is still much lighter on resources than Gnome or KDE. Gnome has been tweaked to make the reactions on screen seem faster than they used to be but a check of resource usage shows XFCE uses much less. Fedora usually runs faster Ubuntu as the kernel is pretty stripped down out of the box where Ubuntu tends to pile on as much as possible to make system changes easier.

6. trashcat

trashcat
    Expand Collapse

When fedora 15 came out I tried to give it a try and use Gnome3. That lasted two days then I switched to xfce and I'm happy with it. I wish enlightenment .17 would hurry op and get more usable I always loved e16.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

You should check out Fedora's LXDE spin... They hit a home run when I tried it. Typical Fedora release. Stable and well thought out.

If I was a Fedora feller (I prefer Debian)... I'd use it. Debians LXDE version isn't to bad either, and Lubuntu(LXDE Ubuntu) is also pretty good.

8. Linux3

Linux3
    Expand Collapse

In some ways the basic install of XFCE is stupid.
    Click the start > Settings > Window Manager
    Select 'Focus'
    'Delay before window receives focus'
    Set that to as short a time as you can. The default setting makes mousing between windows really slow down.

LXDE is nice but maybe a little too light weight for my tastes.

But ain't it cool that we get to chose a desktop rather than just having to use someone's idea of what we should use.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Exactly... and if you don't like the ones available, and you're so inclined to learn... you can write one that is specific to your needs... :)

10. LukeDuke

LukeDuke
    Expand Collapse
    Of Parkside

+1. I am posting from F15 LXDE right now, and I love it. I tried to make myself like Gnome 3, but I just could not quite get there. I gave LXDE a shot and am glad that I did. I will be using it, quite happily, well into the foreseeable future.

11. Detectorist

Detectorist
    Expand Collapse

Just install Windows 7 and be done with it.

:rofl:

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Yeah, then you can use a GUI that a corporate bigwig tells you is best, whether you like it or not.. ;)

13. Linux3

Linux3
    Expand Collapse

Well said.
    Linux is always about choice.

14. sappy13

sappy13
    Expand Collapse

I have always loved gnome 2, can't stand the new gnome 3 or shell. Kde was never that impressive either. Totall hate unity. I dont mind lxde for a lightweight system build, but I'll stick with regular gnome for a long time prolly

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engines

15. GenX

GenX
    Expand Collapse

Well, unity isn't for me either. Ended up reinstalling 11.04 on two machines and boot to ubuntu classic. Thats gnome 2, right? Whatever, it boots fast and shuts down fast. Tried lubuntu and xubuntu, but for some reason sound didn't want to work.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I've had probs w/ sound on my Laptop with Lubuntu, because it doesn't install Pulse Audio by default... Once I installed pulse audio and pavucontrol, and made necessary adjustments, it worked fine.

17. Linux3

Linux3
    Expand Collapse

I just do the regular Ubuntu install then;
    sudo apt-get install xfce-desktop xfce-utilities xfce-extras

Unity is still installed so I can sneer at it. lol

18. lanternlad

lanternlad
    Expand Collapse
    Mythmatician

I like Unity, personally.

Linux never seemed to be "ready for prime time" before Unity came along. It's a nice, simple desktop that anyone can use. If Linux wants to get a bigger market share, it needs to be simple enough for the non-computer savvy masses to use. Unity accomplishes this. With Unity, Linux finally takes its place between Windows and OSX. No more pulling your hair out dealing with stupid DRMs issues, bad drivers, viruses and malware with Windows, and no need to pay the Apple Tax to get a functional UNIX variant with OSX.

19. GenX

GenX
    Expand Collapse

If the masses want a bloated, resource hogging os, then they hit it out of the park with unity.

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Even if Unity wasn't more bloated than Rosie O' Donnell, I still wouldn't use it. I guess it's a matter of what is "usable" I don't consider Unity usable. It's down right annoyingly hideous. If you like that 'Control Panel' OS, I guess it would appeal to you.

I'm not really sure what could have been more simple than Gnome 2.x... You had an "Applications Menu" where you launched Applications, a "Places" menu, where you could go to various folders/network places, and a "System" menu, to set preferences and use administration tools. I spend a lot of time in Linux support channels, and most folks have serious issues w/ Unity, and it's caused a lot of users to migrate to either Xubuntu or Lubuntu (since KDE4 isn't any better). Unity strives to be like Gnome 3, and it done a great job of that.. they both suck.

Like was said above though, fortunately, we are not saddled with one choice.

IGF