close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Wrapping A Cruiser

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by batson35, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Does anyone know of a department that uses vehicle wraps instead of paint on their cruisers...in particular the black front & rear.

Just looking for input on durability.

Thanks!

2. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    We will be using the wrap on the doors of our new Tahoes and Explorers. Haven't got them yet, though.

3. x_out86

x_out86

Feb 19, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Buddy of mine has them. Black cars w/ white wraps for the doors.

He said they are only like $200 cheaper than doing paint. According to him , the wraps suck. He said that you can immediately see EVERY door ding in the car. Said that as soon as the wrap gets dinged, you KNOW IT.

Glad we dont use black and whites....

4. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

Jan 28, 2004
    Monterrey, Mexico
    they suck, every cruiser here has them all nicked/dinged by the POS's that are "gently" leaned against the car :whistle:

5. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    And here I was thinking this thread was about practical jokes. My bad.

6. rockapede

rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    My former agency wraps cars. It looks ok but scuffs easily.

7. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Wraps are for show cars, not for heavy duty use cars like cruisers.

8. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    Awesome!!! Ours won't last, at all. A majority of our roads are gravel and/or dirt/tractor trail.

9. I was thinking they were going to wrap camo tape around a mossberg shotgun. Shoulda seen it was coptalk. Moving along now, gentlemen. :whistling:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  10. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    If you were looking for an agency to contact as a reference, I could suggest the University of Iowa Police. They deployed a fleet of Tahoes with wraps to make them black and white (covered just the doors). It looked slick when they were new, and from a short distance, but up close the cuts were not great, the finish was vastly different from the rest of the body, and it scuffed and discolored easily. They ended up dumping the wraps and painting the doors.

11. Broke Hoss

Broke Hoss

Sep 21, 2008
    Abilene, Texas
    We use wraps on our black/whites:

[​IMG]

My opinion is they do tend to scratch fairly easily; searching a backpack frame down resulted in the trunk lid needing to be completely redone. And they must be full of static because they attract dust like a magnet.

We went to wraps as it was cheaper than repainting. The goal now is to make the paint scheme part of the specs when ordering vehicles.

12. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    We use some wraps when they transitioned unmarked cars to marked cars because the chief wanted more marked cars on the streets. They hold up okay. If they get dinged, then you can tell. I don't think it's practical and would probably be about the same price to just paint it. Our cars are white and some of them were burgundy or blue before the wrapping, which you can see when the wrap gets torn.

13. rockapede

rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    Yeah. Probably not a good situation.