close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wow rifle loading blows.. well prepping at least..

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Fwdftw, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

went to a buds house to resize deprime some 223.. wow man this is a PITA lol

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. chris in va

chris in va
    Expand Collapse

Yes, yes it does. Did you measure the length of the case and remove the crimp too? Range pick-up brass tends to vary from 1.734 to 1.769. I toss anything less than 1.745.

3. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

no actually i have not. none of this crimped its all rem once fired

4. chris in va

chris in va
    Expand Collapse

You're lucky. Half the stuff I get at the range is LC or FC and is ring crimped. At least check the length of those cases.

5. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

will do bud ! all this brass was from 1 friend of mine.. bout 700 pieces

6. crsuribe

crsuribe
    Expand Collapse
    10mm Auto

What am I getting into!

7. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

There isn't much prep to do with commercial once fired rifle brass but size, primer & load. You don;t get into trimming until about 3-5 firings, depending on gun & load & unless you are doing match quality ammo, doing any add'l brass pres is useless IMO.

#7 fredj338, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  8. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm
    Expand Collapse
    10mm Advocate

Yeah, rifle reloading sucks. I hate lubing brass. Absolutely hate it. Wish I could get a carbide body die so I don't have to use lube.

9. Steve in PA

Steve in PA
    Expand Collapse

You still need to lube, even with a carbide rifle die.

10. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin
    Expand Collapse

Think that sucs, wait until they stretch, and have to be trimmed + everything you've had to do so far! That's when the fun really starts!:supergrin:

11. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm
    Expand Collapse
    10mm Advocate

Yes I know that. That's why I said I wish. Carbide steel is expensive and for a rifle die you're looking at $200 minimum for one that is completely carbide so lube isn't required (I bought a custom sizer die for the 45/70 so I didn't have to have lube during sizing).

12. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side
    Expand Collapse
    Armchair IPSCer

Lubing rifle cases is my least favorite part of reloading...though there's something satisfying about wiping them off.

Case trimming is also a PITA...though for my AR I slack for my plinking loads and don't worry about it for two reloads...never seems to matter.

If you're trying to remove crimped primers from 5.56 casings, Lee's 10$ (from Midway) Universal Decapping Die fits right in your press, and is a lot smoother and easier for me than stand alone 5.56 decrimpers.

13. jmorris

jmorris
    Expand Collapse

I use a 650 with a carbide size die in one and still have to lube but I even lube pistol cases. I post load tumble to knock the lube off. I now have a size die on station 1 and 5 with the trimmer on #3. The extra run through size dies with the expanders at #5 on the 650 and #2, 3 on the 1050 iron out the case mouth after trimming without need to debur or chamfer. The 1050 also swages crimped primer pockets as part of the normal loading process.

[​IMG]

Another big time saver is the automatic annealer I built. It takes a few minutes to get everything set but then you can move on to other tasks, filling the hopper from time to time.

[​IMG]

14. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

This is where a 650 or even a 1050 with case feeder comes in real handy.
    One time I did 3 20mm ammo cans full of 9mm brass using the 650. And swaged them all with a Dillon Super Swager.

15. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Get some Hornady One Shot. Spray it on the cases. Let it dry for a minute then run them through the die. Easy.

I think .223 is a pain in the butt in general because it's so small.

Saw some .30-06 hunting ammo at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day - two bucks a shot is what blows.

16. ColoCG

ColoCG
    Expand Collapse

+1^ When you used to have to role on a lube pad especially with RCBS lube that sucked . With HOS and other spray lubes a few simple sprays and let dry and your done. Couldn't be simpler.

17. ColoCG

ColoCG
    Expand Collapse

Why? Unless you are crimping your loads in which you needed a specific case length. I know 1.740" to 1.745" will work fine, It's even recommended by RCBS if you use their X die.

18. freedom790

freedom790
    Expand Collapse

you can lube a lot faster with the RCBS lube if you dump your brass into a bucket, squeeze a bunch of lube onto your hands, then just run your hands around the brass picking up handfuls and working the lube around with your hands. Spend about a minute working it all around and there you go. I've done 500 pieces of 5.56 brass at a time. Took maybe a little over a minute. Then deprime/resize then toss back into the tumbler.

19. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta
    Expand Collapse

I agree. One Shot for 223 but for anything larger I have to break out my Unique.

20. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

You lube your large cases with Unique?