close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wouldn't feed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pspez, Mar 19, 2012.

1. pspez

pspez

Just purchased a Gen 4 Glock 27. I also have a Gen 3 Glock 23 that I purchased 6 years ago.Went shooting with my son tonight and used 3 mags from the 23 in the 27 and one mag would not feed round in the 27. All the other mags fed the 27 perfectly it was just the one magazine. Any suggestions on what I should do.

2. jjb5730

jjb5730 Marksman

Weak mag spring? Or check the follower to see if it is different than the other two, may be an older style follower. Only two things I believe would affect it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3. bentbiker

bentbiker

Did you check to see if the followers are the same number in all three mags? Did you take the "bad" mag apart and clean it? Do you know if the bad one worked previously, or was this the first time you tried it? Were these FMJ rds? Have you ever replaced the mag springs? Just some ideas.

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Make sure that you're not pushing or pulling the extended part of the magazine one way or the other while shooting with it, that can cause failures to feed, when I do it I try not to let my hands even touch the extended portion of the magazine.

If it continues to have failures to feed, there may be excess plastic at the front of each feed lip of that magazine which slows feeding and causes failures to feed. .40 magazines that may have this problem will have either a "1" or a "2" next to the Glock logo on the rear of the magazine tube. You can shave that excess plastic down and the problem should go away.

You don't have to follow the specific instructions in the picture, just shave those plastic protrusions down at the front of both feed lips until the magazine feeds properly. You don't have to worry about removing too much, the magazine will work even if they're removed entirely.
    [​IMG]

And in this picture I colored in the areas that you shave down:
    [​IMG]

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Yeah, when using those longer mags, you really have to be careful that you aren't applying rearward pressure on the mag itself. That tilts the mag, such that the bullets want to feed right into the ramp. They aren't really designed to be used that way (even though you can get away with it), getting "grip sleeves" will make it more reliable.

Or just get some Pearce +2 extensions for the 27, that allows your finger to have a place to go, makes it more like a 23.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  6. pspez

pspez

You guys are great. This is the best forum. No, I have never cleaned mags because I don't know how but will research. When you carry your 27, do you carry 27 mags or 23 mags ? Thanks again guys for your help.

7. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

When I carry I use 9 round mags with a GAP baseplate. I do have a 13 round mag with an x-grip adapter glued to it that I really like.

8. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I carry with the G27 magazine in the gun, and I carry G23 magazines as backup magazines, but I've never had a problem using the G23 magazines in the G27 otherwise I'd probably carry all G27 magazines.

You'll find the magazines quite difficult to disassemble, I used a larger punch to do it, I think it's a 1/8 inch. You just have to muscle the floorplates off. I use Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner to clean them, then wipe everything dry. You'll find several spots inside the magazine where patches will catch on, I'd recommend cutting up an old cotton t-shirt that you don't wear anymore to do it so it doesn't catch on anything and leave material inside the magazine. I use a Hoppe's nylon Utility brush to wrap cleaning cloth around, and use that to wipe the inside walls of the magazine tube. I use the small end of the brush for the top of the magazine tube.

If you clean multiple magazines at once, be careful not to mix up the followers, certain followers will only work in certain types of magazine tube. Try to keep each follower with its respective magazine tube, or only disassemble one magazine at a time.

Magazine disassembly: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpRquLIpolc"]Glock magazine disassembly and reassembly - YouTube[/ame]
    NOTE: Older followers attach to the spring by putting the end of the magazine spring coil through a plastic loop on the bottom of the follower(like the follower you see in the above video). The newest followers don't have that loop, they simply have two plastic ledges to hold the spring in place, so pull the spring out of the follower until it "pops" out of the follower and push the spring into the bottom of the follower until the spring "pops" into place in the bottom of the follower.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  9. fastbolt

fastbolt

I've seen some instances where a few of our guys who carry G27's for a special enforcement detail have occasionally experienced feeding stoppages when using G23 magazines in their G27's. (The ones I remember seeing were using adapters on the G23 mags, too.)

Whenever that happens in the middle of a qual course-of-fire, it's typically happening toward the bottom of the mag load, and they can restore normal functioning by switching to a G27 mag.

The feeding stoppages are pretty typical of what you see when the mag spring starts to get weakened. That wouldn't be surprising when you consider that the same mag spring is used in both the G27 & G23 mag bodies, and if a weakening spring is going to exhibit enough weakened tension to fail to keep up with the slide, it's more likely to happen when the spring is at its weaker point (not under as much tension in the longer mag body).

Also, the faster slide velocity of the G27 would be more likely to start to let a weakened mag spring be 'outrun' by the faster cycling (when the longer mag bodies are being used). You might notice it sooner when the spring is being used in the longer mag body (G23 mag), than in the shorter stock mag body for the G27 when the same mags are being run in a G27.

How soon might this happen? Dunno. You can hear different things from different techs, armorer instructors, reps, other armorers, etc.

The answer favored by someone else might be of little consolation when the G27 in your hands doesn't feed properly when you need it to work.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I carry a 26, I would never carry G19 mags for it. I would carry 26 mags with the Pearce grip extensions in it.

As I (and others have agreed), too much likelihood of feed issues with the compact sized mags because of that tilting issue.