close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Would you use your CCW to defend a stranger?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by D3S3RT_P3NGU1N, Mar 29, 2012.

1. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Feb 29, 2008
    I saw this story on another forum and wondered what some of the folks here would do in this situation

What would you have done? Drawn your CCW? Used it? Gone for a rifle for a more accurate shot (if you keep one in your vehicle of course)? Intervened with pepper spray (again if you carry any)?

2. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

Apr 27, 2009
    Oak Ridge, TN
    I'm a big guy I would have pulled him off the kid and sat on him...unless he was packing skittles then he would be shot on site.

3. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

May 4, 2009
    Concord, NH
    A tire iron (I have a breaker bar in my truck) across the back of the guy's knees would bring him down in a hurry, or pepper spray would be a good option. What's the saying? If all you have is a hammer then every task looks like a nail?

Yes, intervene. If I have another option other than my CCW, I'll use that first, and only use my CCW if I have no other option left.

4. someone has got to call 911, then he must be stopped, whether you have a gun or not, most of the time if one person jumps in others will follow and provide help:wavey:

5. chrisbritt15

chrisbritt15

Mar 28, 2012
    Wow that would be a tough one for me, or for anyone, I mean if you did pull you CCW and stopped him, if the round would had over penatraded and hit someone else then you know they would have sued you. Tough call.

6. deathpriest

deathpriest

Dec 12, 2004
    Florida
    Hard to say. Have to be there. Stupid driving is no exuse for a beat down like that. I might've honk the horn to make him aware he is being watch. I might've peper spray the heck out of him and have my CCW on me. Really hard to say.

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    There really isn't a good answer to this one. What I would WANT to do, what I SHOULD do, and whats SAFE to do....
    Ideally he should have had the window up, kept enough room infront of his pickup at stop to move around. (That heavy a traffic likely not to help)

If I am with family then I am calling 911/blowing horn max. By myself I might do more.

8. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I've got my rescue/aid bag in the back of the car, with several rescue tools that are perfectly suited for making someone cease attacking someone else.

But if I felt he was going to kill him, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot him.

9. dango

dango

Jun 9, 2008
    I'm Polish and not the sharpest tool in the shed . I would have got his plate No. and pulled the pistol , but I am stupid some times ?
    I don't believe how big the guy was , a pistol is something to think about . I know , don't pull it unless you plan to use it .
    I think this may have been the exception to the rule .
    Now on the other hand , had the lug turned mid evil on me , bang and I use 230 .45 JHP so I'm not real worried about collateral damage.

10. That's a tough call. Like others have said, try getting the ass' attention until there's no other option left. Obviously he beat the kid bad enough to get airlifted so there's a chance he could've killed him.

11. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    16S DE 680 928
    I would have drawn as a show of force and ordered him to cease the assault, get down on the ground and instruct another bystander to call 911. Have the caller explain the incident and that there is a licensed armed citizen detaining the subject. Shoot only if he doesn't stop the assault on the victim (only if the back drop permits in the situation) or if he assaults me. I'd rather have to face litigations for 5 years than to live with the fact that I could have done something to help the victim and didn't. That's just me.

12. dango

dango

Jun 9, 2008
    The kid didn't see it coming and didn't have a chance.
    And just cause you're having a bad day , hands off period !

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  13. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Dec 29, 2011
    A swift downward strike to the center rear on both shoulder blades, supra scapula, would drop him to his knees.

14. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Feb 29, 2008
    I don't think horn honking and getting his attention would make much difference, people were already out of their cars shouting at the guy and it didn't stop him.

15. VinnieD

VinnieD

Mar 26, 2011
    Intervening would have been best. Probably pepper spray for this situation, but be ready to switch to your gun if that didn't work. Given the disparity of force, and it legitimately looked like the assailant was intent on beating this kid to death, I think you can call disparity of force if you did shoot. At least in my state it's perfectly legal to also use a gun to defend another person from having a felony committed against them, regardless of relation or location.

16. dango

dango

Jun 9, 2008
    Some of us are getting old and worn out . In my 20's ok , now there is a saying don't mess with an old man , he'll kill you .

17. frank4570

frank4570

Jun 25, 2004
    A very tough call. I would much prefer to hit the guy with a big tool or pepper spray, or kick one of his knees sideways as hard as I could.
    A very tough situation.

18. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Aug 31, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Unless it is something that is very extreme and absolutely clear-cut, like an aggravated rape in progress or a person using a lethal weapon on a child, I would likely not use my firearm in defense of a third party. It would also depend on whether I was alone or with my family. If armed intervention would likely place my wife or children in danger, no dice. Their safety trumps that of a stranger and my priority would be keeping my loved ones out of harm's way.

19. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Dec 29, 2011
    But after verbal commands, hand strikes make a good effort of not going straight to lethal force.

20. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    Back of pants stuff cuffs, Call in location to 911, leave phone on and pull that ass off the kid.