close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Would you trust a former drug dealer?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Detectorist, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    Let me start this out by saying that I think dealers are the scum of the earth. I've always hated them.

Neighbor served 7 years for dealing. Said he could have done 65 years if it wasn't for his Dad selling his house to pay for a $250,000 lawyer. I don't know any more details.

He wants to go into business with me. Construction type of enterprise. he has customers lined up.

I say I could never trust a guy like that.

2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    No way you can trust him.

I am biased, I work in a federal prison, I don't trust any of them!!!

:cool:

3. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Sounds like he didn't learn his lesson so much as just did his time. Granted, he's supposedly "square with the house," but I don't think I could trust him with a business.

4. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    yea, you folks just reinforced what I felt. It's a no go.

One other question. Does the prohibition against felons owning firearms also prohibit them from shooting a firearm? I saw this guy a week ago shoot a raccoon with a .22 rifle.

5. Is this a trick question? Of course I wouldn't trust him.

As for the firearm, I believe a felony conviction prohibits one from possessing a firearm, regardless of ownership. I'm not a LEO or lawyer so take it for what it's worth.

6. Provided it's a real .22 and not an air rifle.

That being said, you see the big red flags waving furiously? That's me, waving them and it ain't for the bullfight.

7. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    You think he is being truthful about the potential of 65 years and even the fact he did 7 years - which means he probably got sentenced to 14-15 years?

If so, you should have nothing to do with this guy and any business with him. The guy had to have some serious priors as well as a big case to get that much time. To get sentenced to that much time for dope means that is not a one time mistake.

Go to the department of corrections website for your state and do an inmate search, it might show what the charge was he was convicted for and any priors he did time for as well. Or if your states attorney office has a case locate function, you might be able to find out there as well.

8. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter Average Guy

Apr 25, 2008
    You are correct about possession. They just have to exercise control over it or be able to.

9. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Jan 2, 2006
    Planet Earth
    Hussein, in his book, admits to using AND SELLING drugs. Look how good he turned out:whistling::whistling::whistling:

10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Of course you can trust him----to be just what he is.

Re: firearms. A convicted felon who hasn't had his civil rights restored (don't worry, he hasn't) can't touch a firearm or be in control of it in any manner whatsoever. It's not just a prohibition against "ownership".

11. Blankshooter

Blankshooter

Jul 7, 2010
    So . . . let me get this straight . . . you're asking if someone who has a long standing and federally recorded history of making poor life decisions including putting himself, his family, and those around him at risk could be trusted?

I think you already know that answer.

12. Don't worry.... he's been rehabilitated.

I hope you noted the sarcasm.

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I am not going to be as vehemently negative as the other posters, if for no reason other than I do believe that some can be rehabilitated. That said, my belief is that the true numbers of those rehabilitated are usually measured in single digit percentages. I would not get involved with someoene like this beyond any extent to which I could afford to kiss any money goodbye, or to the extent to which I could afford to have my reputation sullied. (I.E. I might loan him a hammer knowing full well that I probably would not see it again and I might have to testify or explain how my hammer ended up as a weapon.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  14. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    It sounds like you dont really know this person, I would not go into business with someone I dont know.

15. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    Thanks, Sam. So, I've already witnessed him committing another crime. Doesn't bode well for him.

16. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    Rehabilitated criminals are easy to spot. Just look for the grave marker in the cemetery.

:cool:

17. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    No I would not trust him. And if he has so many people lined up why hasn't he started his own construction business?

More than likely he is still in the drug business or trying to get back in it and wants to use your business as a cover.

18. IMHO depends on the person.

I have dealt with a few "criminals" that I could trust. I have dealt with a few officers I could not trust.

If you want to look at peoples past, look at Obama and where he is today. A majority of Americans trusted him, even when he wrote about his drug dealings.