close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Would you let a bad guy prone you out while CCWing?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Judge Roy Bean, Jul 6, 2011.

1. I friend and I got into a rather heated debate about this yesterday after watching the waffle house robbery. I know there have been threads about it and this particular issue was mentioned in one of those threads.

In a situation where you have a liscenced conceal carry firearm on your person:
    Would you allow a bad guy to prone you out in order to relinquish your wallet?

My buddy and I, both liscenced to conceal carry, couldn't come to agreement on it.

I have trouble with this as I carry at the 4:30-5 o clock position (right above my wallet).

2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    NO I would not let a BG prone me out. I do not want to be in one of the most vulnerable positions out there.

3. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

Jan 10, 2011
    dallas, tx
    Why do you carry if all your going to do is lay there like the rest of the people getting robbed…………… A coward dies a thousand deaths and a hero but one

4. Triple7

Triple7

May 30, 2011
    If he is in a close range and weapon pointed at me, I'm doing what I'm told until I have an opportunity. Most likely though I would pull my wallet out and lay it in front of me, so that the BG isn't filling around for mine.

5. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Aug 3, 2010
    Texas

This. In all due honesty, I think it all has to do with how quick it happens and threat level. If you think you can eliminate the threat without harm to others or yourself, take it. If it's questionable, well... there isnt anyone else there to save you or the others. Make the call and live with it.

6. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    Just my $ .02 here.

Once you allow yourself to be "compromised" (as in the bad guy has the drop on you) you basically have two options and neither are very promising.

If you take no action you are at the mercy of the bad guy.

If you decide to take action (as in fighting with him or attempting to draw your weapon) this could very well be the last decision that you will ever make, so be prepared.

THis is a decison that the individual must make for themselves and even trained, capable law enforcement officers have been killed or maimed in these situations.

Action beats re-action every time.
    It's doubtful that you would be able to draw your weapon and fire at the BG before he shoots you, so in the best case scenario, you and the BG woud be, as they say in the westerns "swapping lead"!

If I was in this dire situation and decided to resist, I'd be preparing to move as fast as my feet could carry me, while unholstering my gun.
    Distance and cover woud be the two best friends to have at this time (after prayer of course).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  7. Chaos88

Chaos88

Mar 4, 2011
    Hell no. Your gonna chance giving him yet another fire arm while you are belly down looking at his Jordans? Better question is how did he get the jump on you? Back facing the door? First seat inside the door? Absolutely 0 situational awareness? Nobody will ever get the jump me at a restaurant unless I am majorly outgunned he's going to pay for the $ in my wallet with a trip to the Hospital/morgue.

8. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    It's an odds game. If the odds are in my favor, I will not allow it.

If the odds are clearly against me, I will have to consider whether I believe he wants to rob me, or kill me. If all signs point to a simple robbery (as they did in the Waffle House incident) then I will give up my wallet.

If the odds are clearly against me and it looks like a 'fight or be killed' situation, then I will fight.

Even odds, and a simple robbery, I will give up the wallet. Even odds and a sense that the bad guy will shoot anyway, then we go.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  9. mikegun

mikegun

Jun 22, 2006
    colorado
    my wallet is a gun so yes ill be happy to let the stick up guy have it as well as all contants...

10. James Dean

James Dean

Jan 31, 2010
    East of Eden
    Its a hard question to answer until I'm in that situation. If a BG has his gun to my head I'm doing nothing.

11. talon

talon

Jun 10, 2001
    Dallas,Tx,USA
    "Action beats re-action every time", is a very misleading statement. You really need to look at the OODA loops of both the BG and the GG at a paticular moment of time. I react to a threat the BG reacts to my draw etc. etc.

12. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    SWMO
    Too many variables to assume....however, I hope I can do what I say...constantly evaluating, looking for the best opportunity and taking advantage of it.

That's it.

:wavey:

red

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    If you are in fear of serious bodily injury or death, shooting would be justified. That's the way the law reads here in Ohio.

14. FatPants

FatPants

Jul 27, 2010
    Watching the Waffle House video, I cant find a time in the video where engaging one of the bad guys with my pistol wouldnt have resulted in the injury or death of one or more people in the restaurant, other than if the BG's were engaged as they entered the door.

Situations like that do make me want more than 10 rounds in my G26...

Heres the video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnCreOhzEcI

15. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

It depends on the situation. But in general, NO. In many locations, being "proned out" or being shuttled into a back room is a prelude to an execution.

16. AaronZR2

AaronZR2

Jun 17, 2010
    Is it just me or does the one guy have a Hi-Point carbine?

17. RetailNinjitsu

RetailNinjitsu

Jun 1, 2007
    Way to many variables to make that call.

Number of suspects? Visibly armed? Divided attention? Perceived intentions? Your mode of carry? Your ACTUAL skill level (not imagined)? Location? Bystanders?

18. Interesting responses you guys. I know it would depend on each and every circumstance when it happens.

For me, there is more of the issue of. "Do I have a responsibility as a CCW'er to prevent a bad guy from obtaining my firearm?"

Ultimately, I don't know how I would react either, as I have not been in this type of situation.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011