close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Would You Intervene To Help A Police Officer?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Carrys, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

I understand some folks here have misgivings about jumping into an unknown situation when it may involve people whom they don't know the identity of, but when the identity isn't in question........ what would you do?

I've seen several videos of people just standing around and taping the events while police officers where being assualted/harming. Said videos appear to be made more in the way of entertainment as opposed to proof or evidence of any type of crime.

Now, in some cases it may not be prudent to interfere.....one's safety could be in jeopardy. And in such a case I don't think anyone could be taken to task over staying out of harms way. The situations I'm talking about are those in which the help of/from said onlookers versus their entertainment could make all the difference, especially concerning the officers safety.

I'm not talking about trying to be a Arnold or Bruce sort of hero either, but simply a normal person trying to help another.

What would set your parameters of such a thing?

What would determine whether or not you assisted someone you knew to be a police officer in need of help....immediate help. Help that wasn't likely to place you in a position of being seriously harmed..................and so what if it was?

Your thoughts?

2. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

If he needs help, he needs it NOW. Most police officers wouldn't stop to think whether I needed help in a similar situation. I would extend them the same courtesy.

3. Nemesis.

Nemesis.

Sorry, given today's climate, frivolous lawsuits, etc, the only help I would give would be to call 911.

4. captainstormy

captainstormy

+1

That's how I feel about it.

5. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

I would, but I would try to get some sort of permission from the officer first. I wouldn't want to jump into anything if I was wanted by him/her. If they are getting the snot beat out of them, no hesitation required.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  6. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I would jump in and help without a problem.

7. thinblueline90

thinblueline90 Always Watching

If ever there was an officer on the side of the road getting a mud hole stomped in his behind. I would feel the need to stop and assist. If ever i witnessed an altercation take place i would hang back to make sure the officer needed help. If you tried to jump in and help on the first swing it would be to dangerous the officer is already on high alert so I wouldn't want to get in his way if he had it in control and has the upper hand. There was a Mississippi officer on vaction with his wife rollin down I-10 just outside of Baton Rouge he seen a Louisisana State trooper getting beaten. The trooper had already been knocked out and the guy he pulled over kept hitting him after the officer was down. The officer on vaction pulled his vehicle over drew down on the dude beating the officer and held him at gun point till back up from local authorities came to arrest the suspect. I'd say the vacation mississippi officer made a great judgement call, and possibly saved the troopers life.

8. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

I did once...

...but the PO was my brother....

9. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Even if I'm unarmed(status quo in NJ) I'd help. No choice, I have 3 cousins in law enforcement and would do anything in my power to help them in that situation, so why wouldn't I do the same for their brothers and sisters in arms?

10. kiole

kiole

If it was clear that the cop was in danger and he asked for help or was unable to defend himself I would absolutely get involved.

11. mtnglide

mtnglide

These guys and gals are out there everyday trying to make this world a little safer place for the rest of us so short answer, in a damn heartbeat.

12. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

Yes.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. emtjr928

emtjr928

Yep!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I would help a police officer. I would also jump in to help a victim, although I'm not anxious to do so. It's been a long time since I grew up and realized that I'm not immortal or incapable of being hurt.

A few years ago I was in a restaurant when a belligerent drunk came after a woman that really couldn't flee, since there were two kids with her. I reluctantly stood up and got between them since there wasn't anyone else nearby to do it.. Although I was easily 20 years older, I'm fairly good sized and could see this guy was too drunk to fight. He'd fallen off a bar stool a few minutes earlier and he was staggering.

I was actually hoping I could just delay him by talking to him until help arrived.

Fortunately for me, a younger man, with arms about twice the size of mine, rushed to get in front of the drunk. Just seeing him made the drunk hesitate and the young man told him to back off or get knocked down.

I sat back down. The young guy was more than up to the task.

The drunk stopped, made a bunch of threats, then was confronted by three of the restaurant staff. I couldn't hear what the manager said to him, but he left.

I was carrying my 1911 but I never even thought about using it. It just didn't look like it was going to get that ugly.

And that is the closest I've come to being a hero in years. I thought about it.

15. ray9898

ray9898

Of course....however it is my nature since I am a LEO. If I am ever getting it handed to me on duty I hope someone would stop to help me.

Most states have laws that protect good Samaritans from lawsuits so using that as an excuse not to help really does not fly.

16. RenoF250

RenoF250

If I can actually help I would but if it is some huge dude that is just going to pound both of us into the ground I would just get on his radio and call in and then look for a weapon to help.

17. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I would, but what should a civilian do to let the LEO know that they are there to help? I'd hate to rush in to help a LEO and get hurt by that LEO because they mistook me for another attacker.

18. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

I have, twice. . . and I'd help an LEO again.

19. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Without hesitation. Anything I could do.

20. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Ask if they need help, tell them you called in they need assistance, then do what he tells you. If he can't talk chances are he isn't going to care too much about what you do as long as you take some of the strain off him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.