close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Would You Fire Someone For Refusing To Wear A "666" Sticker?

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by muscogee, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

2. JBnTX

JBnTX

No. I'd applaud his religious conviction.

3. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Sounds like they wanted to get rid of this guy anyway and found something to use against him. Hope he wins though.

4. Brucev

Brucev

Good for the employee. Now that he's turning the heat up on the company and its management... they're toast. Cool.

5. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

I would not either. I think it's a rather silly superstition, but it is a very easy request to accomdate on religious grounds as it did not impact his actual duties in any way. He should have been given a pass on the "666" sticker and he'll probably win his lawsuit (as well he should).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  6. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Put me in the "not worth firing" column. I may not agree, and Like Gecko said, I'd privately think it was silly. But it's one day and tomorrow he'd probly be proud to wear a "667" badge. Sounds to me like either Bossman is on a power trip, or they were desperate to get rid of this guy.

Either way, they should lose this one. Dumb, dumb reason to flex the authority muscles.

7. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

I don't think he should of been fired. I don't blame him for not wanting to wear it. However, I believe the mark of the beast referenced in Revelation was to be on the head or right hand...

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Can I fire him for being a superstitious nut or just plain dumb?

Here's how employement law works in real life: There are probably a LOT more reasons for firing him than that button. But the reason we hear about the button is that we are hearing his side, on an internet blog. An employer can fire him for any reason or no reason, but not a discriminatory reason. To make a legal issue of it, he has to come up with a discriminatory reason. If that's the best he could do, all we can tell from the article is that he's BSing us.

9. Andy W

Andy W

Why did the company pick 666 days accident free as a day to celebrate being accident free? Why not 667 or 700? Any number besides 666, knowing the implications behind that term.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Geko45

Because you agree with them or because you feel that people should be afforded reasonable accommodation for their varying religious beliefs?

11. Geko45

Read the article. Employees wore a sticker every day with the number of accident free days on it. The 666th day was not being singled out for celebration.

12. Walt_NC

Walt_NC

Hahaha. Well played.

13. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

If the employee broke policy out of a written handbook issued to all employees ... the employee is doomed.

If the employee broke some mid level managers direction that was not in the policy handbook ... he just got paid.

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If the reason was not discriminatory and the employee doesn't have a written contract saying they can't fire him, he can be fired just because they feel like firing him or because they don't like the color of shirt he wore to work. If the reason was discriminatory, it makes no difference whether a manager came up with it, or it was in a policy manual.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  15. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

No he should not be fired. Nothing wrong with a "fair" accommodation of his beliefs.

16. Andy W

Andy W

I only skimmed the article so I must have missed that part. Still, seems like the whole sticker exercise is pointless. A lot of companies will have a plaque on the wall or something counting how many days they've been without an accident but to make everyone wear a sticker is just stupid.

17. Geko45

No, not really. The problem with a plaque or sign is that eventually people tune it out. They walk past it everyday and stop noticing it after awhile. This company's policy was to have the employee write the number on a sticker and then wear it each day. Clearly, this was meant to emphasize the important of work place safety by bringing it to the forefront of their mind at least once per day. Heck, there may have been an accompanying incentive program with day targets that they could strive for too.

18. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

is georgia an "at will" state?

19. snowbird

snowbird

I certainly wouldn't fire someone for refusing to wear a '666' sticker. I'm not into Satanic symbolism.

If I was the employee, I wouldn't have drawn mangement's attention to my concern, because it is predictable that they might put their foot down on this and fire me, if I insubordinately refused a direct order to wear it. With no fuss on my part, they almost certainly would fail to notice that I wore '665' or '667' on two days instead of one. A simple 'typo' mistake of one digit like this would be no big deal to any reasonable employer when dealing with an otherwise good worker. Or he could have written some fine print under the '666' number that day, explaining that this was merely the number of days without an accident. His conscience could then rest assured that he wasn't glorifying the Devil.

Was he an otherwise good worker? Good attendance record? Team player? No chip on his shoulder? The Bible says workers should be faithful to their employers in all of these ways. The Bible says 'go the extra mile'.