close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Would you carry a 642 WITH the lock?

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by wrx04, Oct 26, 2010.

1. NMPOPS

NMPOPS
    Expand Collapse

I've carried one every day for over 5 years with the lock. 1000+ rounds, no problems. I also have a 638 w/ lock and almost as many rounds. When I retired I pretty much qit carrying square guns in favor of my two S&Ws with no worries whatsoever.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Mail Clerk

Mail Clerk
    Expand Collapse

I have one but never activate the lock. No kids in my house and with the lock activate it won't go boom when the assailant is about to stab you.

Mail Clerk

3. fowler

fowler
    Expand Collapse

Grind the flag off. I had one early and it locked up shooting hot 125gr.hp,s. I picked up a 642-1 no lock about 5years ago and never looked back. Won,t buy a SW with a lock,no thankyou. A favorite with the late Steven Camp . A great 24/7 ccw weapon.

4. captcurly

captcurly
    Expand Collapse

What you said, whaledriver. There is a lot of crap on the internet about a lot of things. We use to have urban legends now we have internet legends.

5. fowler

fowler
    Expand Collapse

Twice a 642 -2 locked up once for me and another at the range. Shooting 125gr. plus-p. Maybe they will not lock up with standard mild factory ammo,but it did for me shooting Cor-bon and my pal shooting ww110+P+. No lock for me thankyou!!!! Cyl. locked up solid ,could not pull trigger.

#65 fowler, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  6. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

Hey, the thread came back online ...

FWIW, the J-frame I decided to take with me during an out-of-state trip (just got back) under LEOSA was my M&P 340. The one with the ILS. Not either of my 642-1's, my 649-4 or my 37-2, none of which have ILS's.

Why? Because the front night sight & U-shaped rear notch on the M&P give me a noticeable edge in aimed fire when I take time to catch a sight. Handy.

I have another M&P 340 on order, coincidentally enough, this time the new model variation made without a ILS.

Why? Because they finally made one without the ILS and I liked my first one so well I was waiting for an excuse to buy a second one. ;) Why not one without the ILS?

I'll keep my original one for use in a backup role to the new one (once the new one proves itself functional) and to use as a "range beater", to see if I can ever wear it out. While I do occasionally use .357 Magnum loads for practice & quals, I mostly use a mix of various +P (at least 4 loads I can think of off the top of my head) and standard pressure loads (budget practice).

BTW, I've experienced ... and had other folks bring to me ... revolvers, including S&W J-frames (with & without the ILS) which have had the hammer, trigger or cylinder "lock up", seize, etc. There are other mechanical (and owner-induced) things that can happen with a revolver which can cause such a problem, even in models without a ILS.