close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Would a 9mm, be enough protection agansit a moutain lion???

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by SENEN_NIEVES, Jan 12, 2004.

1. SENEN_NIEVES

SENEN_NIEVES
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

MY question is the fact about these recent mountain lions attack, would a 9mm(glock 19) loaded with the right ammo(FMJ or Hornandy's xtp rounds), be enough to stop or drop a 110 to 200 lbs cougar????

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Expand Collapse

It might with a good shot, but I would want something with a little more punch. I wouldnt hike up in any of the Northen mountains with out either a G21 or G20. Preferable the G20. The ulitmate would be a 12 guage with slugs.
    I have some friends that went cross country last year. While they were hiking in the Yellow Stone area they had a close call with a Grizzy. Neither of them were armed.
    If I am going to put myself in their environment I am going in prepared for an attack.
    If those Mountain Lions can take down a full grown Mule deer then you are not a problem to them.
    I have also read that grizzlys can run at 30+ mph for something like 20 to 30 minutes.
    I think I would leave the 9mm at home and bring something larger.

be safe.

3. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs
    Expand Collapse

Yea, it'll work fine.

4. Dogbite

Dogbite
    Expand Collapse
    DNT TREAD ON ME

Mountain lion--yeah with hot loads.The problem comes if the country your in is also bear country.Bear and 9mm do not--i mean DO NOT go together.

5. 6forsure

6forsure
    Expand Collapse

Yes. The hollow points. They're not Cape Buffalo or Polar bears. Better to stick to something shootable that you have experience with and is easy to carry.

6. Cowboy Kyle

Cowboy Kyle
    Expand Collapse

I would think with a 33 round mag of 9 mm. should take care of any bear or mountain lion problems.

7. mpol777

mpol777
    Expand Collapse
    Feral Member

200lbs is a huge mountain lion. IIRC the record is something like 225lb. Most are closer to 125lb, at least out by me.

8. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

The problem with that is most, Mt.Lions will leave us alone & when they do attack it is normally without surprise and without warning. Using a 9mm and expecting just one shot to stop it might not be adviseable.

Down here, it took 2 county deputies (shooting) to stop (kill) a rabid Bobcat and they are less than 40lbs on average. Alot smaller than most Mt.lions/Panthers.

Remember all of the storys of people and police shooting rotts & pits with handguns and no effect??? I would think the same would exist with a real "wild" animals with claws&teeths that can do alot more damage than that of a dog.

So with that said, I would go no less than a 12/20ga load with buckshot.

9. Alchemy

Alchemy
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to deviate from the thread for a minute, and give you
    my opinion as to why we are seeing more cougar attacks.

It's called ballot box biology. Our good friends from PITA &
    other such organizations have been successful in passing
    legislation that prevents trained wildlife biologists from
    controlling such predators thru certain means of hunting.

We have just seen on the news of the 2 mtn. bikers in Kali
    that were attacked buy cougars. I believed that one survived, and
    the other man was killed. Kali has had the cougar hunting ban
    in place for over 20 yrs I believe.

Oregon just passed the no dog, no bait hunting of cougars a few
    years ago. In just the few years that Oregon's ban has been in
    effect, we have seen a dramatic rise in the cougar population.

This increase in the cougar population in certain areas of Ore.
    has led to the decrease of deer and elk, and it's only going to
    get worse!

Now back to the thread (sorry) I had to have my rant for the
    morning, now I feel better!

I suppose that a 9mm would kill anything under the right
    conditions, but the last two people that were attacked in Kali
    were just minding their own business, riding their bikes.

Those two bikers could have had 458 wmg strapped on their backs,
    and the end result would have been the same. They were stalked
    and attacked....They never knew what hit them.

These animals are smart and cagey, and they will be on you in a
    New York second.

So as to your question about a 9 being enough. Personally I
    think that I'd want something bigger. Good luck if your taken
    down by the back by one of these things....chances are that
    you'll never see it coming!

10. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

11. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

12. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs
    Expand Collapse

I think you are missing the point here. If you see it coming, the 9mm will work. A buddy of mine has shot a few with 17 hmr's at 30 yards. If you don't see the thing coming, who cares what you have........you're finished.

13. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

agreed.

It was once stated by a big game expert and exotic hunter that the Mt Lion & Jaguar of the Americans and the Lepoard of Africa are the 3 of the hardest animals to hunt.

Very sneaky cat was want he stated.

They used their claws to hold the their food ( prey ) and bite them in the neck & head to kill them.Their attacks are sudden and often without warning, most of the time the prey only hear the whooshing of the animal leaping from cliff/tree and nothing else.

yes a 9mm probably could stop a Mt.lion but I sure as hell would not want to find out. ;T

14. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony
    Expand Collapse
    NRA4EVR

I guess the best way to avoid such surprise is to keep alert. Those granola eating backpackers and bicyclers are usually going about in condition white. They think of nature as being a safe environment like Disneyland.

It might be wise to take a dog with you when going out in the woods. They will likely detect the cat before you can. If the cat does leap on you, the dog may distract it enough for you to recover from the attack and fight back.

15. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

{They will likely detect the cat before you can. If the cat does leap on you, the dog may distract it enough for you to recover from the attack and fight back.}

good point, I would rather use the dog as a "sacrifical lamb" and hope the cat jumps the dog first.
    ;f

16. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr
    Expand Collapse
    trout fear me!

Beneath the old oak tree at Sutter's Fort
    Hey, leave my dogs alone. Any wild animals that mess w/ my trained attack ankle biters risk becoming a fur rug in front of our fireplace. ;L ;I ;)

Might seem like a good time to pack a heavy .44 Special though....

Or a G20/29......... :cool:

17. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Ha Ha Ha Ha.;f

I would love to see what a Mt.Lion would do to a dog.

My parents once feed and housed a Tomcat ( one of thoose "Coon" cats with the Raccoon shape tail ) and she was about 15 or so lbs and I saw her laid out a can of kick @#$% on a few of the neighborhood dogs. She was the only cats that I ever seen that wouldn't run away from dogs.

I guess a 100lb+ MT.Lions could kick a big dog rear-end with ease.

The old saying that I grew up with and about cats goes like this;

Dogs = danger on one point ( mouth only)
    Cats = danger on three points ( mouth, front claws & rear )

18. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

I don't know about the dog thing. While on one hand it seems like pure genius -- something moderately expendable and with very keen senses would be great -- I think there may be a downside. Cougar are more likely to attack something that is smaller than itself and that is not human. I don't know if the dog would give you more warning if a cougar was in the area, or if it could lead to an attack that would not otherwise happen.

As to the original question, I believe a 9mm would kill a cougar with multiple hits that are well placed. Still, I would prefer something larger. And I don't consider a shotgun to be ideal, as you could not manouver it once the cougar came into contact with you. Once it touched you, you would no longer have a weapon. You need some power because cougar may not be that big but they are tough, which rules out anything smaller than a 9mm for me (and even that is somewhat marginal). You also need something that you can shoot quickly, which rules out the really powerful revolvers. Something like a .45 ACP with +P ammo or a .357 with full power hollowpoints would be my top picks.

19. skfullgun

skfullgun
    Expand Collapse

I'd rather have something larger, but it is always, always a tradeoff between the size of the firearm (and caliber) and the ease of carry. I'd darn sure rather have a 9mm than nothing at all. On the other hand, my G30 packs a lot more punch and is only slightly larger.

20. JOE MACK

JOE MACK
    Expand Collapse

;Q The 9mm with hollow points would have no problem taking down a mountain lion. Just keep shooting until it stops. We've used everything from .22 magnums to regular deer rifles to kill them. We got to kill stock killers on depredation permits back in my home state.

The problem in Kalifornia is urbanites at the ballot box voting for wildlife control. These people haven't got a clue yet stopped all lion hunting in the state. One can't even import a cat taken in another state legally. The only way this will ever be reversed is if the soccer moms find a large kitty on their porch breakfasting on the family pet or a kid.:(