close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

World War II Memorial

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by -, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Guest

2. spetsnaz777

spetsnaz777 Team 9mmx19

Aug 9, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia

3. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

Dec 10, 2000
    It's about freaking time!! Unfortunately, a lot of our WWII Veterans never got the chance to see it. And even more are too sick to even consider making the trip to DC (my Dad included).

4. Chopperdog

Chopperdog

Feb 29, 2004
    Metro Atlanta
    I wish my grandfather was still alive to see it. I would've taken him to DC to visit the memorial. He was on a heavy cruiser in the Navy during WWII, and would have liked to see the memorial, but he died a couple years abo.

5. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

Dec 10, 2000
    Why don't you go home and ask the German people to have one built? Why the he** would we want to put up such a memorial in these United States for the very soldiers who facilitated Hitler's actions which literally cost millions of lives?

You sir, may kiss this Veteran's brown a**!! ;l

I apologize for this response. I tried to ignore his post but just couldn't. ;Q

6. spetsnaz777

spetsnaz777 Team 9mmx19

Aug 9, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Calm down there chief... I NEVER said put one up in the USA. Believe it or not, the vast majority of German soldiers in WWII were honorable men. The reputation of German arms has forever been blackened by the actions of the Nazi regime and their criminal lackeys.

The NSDAP was the architect of the Holocaust but all in all the average German Landser had nothing more to answer for than his American or British counterpart.

The Soviets were worse than Nazi Germany and should have been taken out by Patton in 1945.

7. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

Jan 8, 2003
    Zombie Patrol
  8. Hank Weber

Hank Weber

May 4, 2004
    I get the chance to transport a fair number of WWII servicemen to the ER while on shift as a FF/PM. I try to remember to thank them for 'saving the world' by their sacrifice. I can't recall to many whoose eyes didn't well up with tears at the thanks. They were a great bunch of Americans. They estimate that around a thousand a day are dying rigt now. If you meet one, thank him.

9. spetsnaz777

spetsnaz777 Team 9mmx19

Aug 9, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    Sounds alot like some of the MPs in Iraq right now accused of maltreating prisoners;Q

10. Chopperdog

Chopperdog

Feb 29, 2004
    Metro Atlanta
    No it doesn't. There are but a handfull of soldiers that are accused of this misconduct. There is no proof that it is widespread. They will pay for what they have done if they are found guilty.

11. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

Jan 8, 2003
    Zombie Patrol
    Reading the news this AM they had said that right now seven soldiers were being indicated in this whole prison mess. In my opinion that is seven too many. Even if in the end it ends up being seventy, that number pales in comparision to the number of nazi's.

The excuese "I was just following orders" doesn't do much when it's just seven people, but when you have hundreds of thousands of troops? Give me a break.

12. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart Millennium Member CLM

Apr 5, 1999
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I made this very clear when this forum was started but I will repeat it again for those of you that may not have read my statement.

This forum was created for Veteran's, to honor those who have served. It is a place for them to get together, reminisce, and discuss their experiences. It will not be a place for political discussion. We have a forum dedicated just for that and you are welcome to discuss politics there. If anyone continues to ignore this, you may not find yourself as a welcome guest on this site any longer.

My apologies to the rest of the Veterans that have made this forum a great place to visit. Please feel free to contact me personally if this occurs.

13. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Sidearmor in her role as Moderator has already posted. She is also a member of this forum. These are my personal thoughts.

spetsnaz777, obxprnstar, you have hijacked a thread dedicated to the opening of the long overdue memorial to American Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen, WACS, and Members of the Merchant Marines who served during WWII.

I know CarlosDJackal, whose father survived the Battan Death March, spoke for me, and perhaps others, when he responded to your post spetsnaz777.

Having pride in your heritage, your ancestors is admirable, but perhaps this is not the venue in which to espress it.

If I am out of line, I invite other veterans to weigh in with their opinions.

spetsnaz777, obxprnstar, if you'd like to debate your beliefs in GNG or Politics, or OAF, perhaps some of us would engage you there. If you want to participate here, please be respectful.

RussP

Discalimer: The opinions expressed or implied in this post are mine and mine alone and are not meant to represent other members of this Veterans Forum.

14. MR. Fantastic

MR. Fantastic

Apr 21, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    I believe Satan built 2 memorials for the Germans down in hell. One for each war.;Y

15. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

Apr 26, 2001
    Lewisville, TX USA
    No veteran here, but I'm proud of my dad's service in the 124th SRI 1942-1945. All his war pictures look like tourist pictures, and not like BDSM.

16. MR. Fantastic

MR. Fantastic

Apr 21, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    Being a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom I find this appaling. Anything less than death is a huge maltreatment of those prisoners. ;6

Now, on a serious note the "sir I was just following orders" excuse is total bull#$%&. Today's young soldiers are smarter than they've ever been and think for themselves too much to simply follow unlawful orders obliviously. Those soldiers had to be acting partly under their own free will, most likely in retaliation to a fallen comrade.

To be quite honest, I think the media is making this whole situation to be worse than it actually is.

17. spetsnaz777

spetsnaz777 Team 9mmx19

Aug 9, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    So this forum is only for US veterans? My bad- I did not see that posted anywhere.

18. pjmonty

pjmonty Desert Rat

Jun 16, 2001
    Owatonna, MN USA
    Sometimes I wish I could, but my wife would probably kill me before I could get to the recruiter's office. I served in the first Gulf War and wish that we had finished the job when we were there the first time. I have a younger brother that is in the ND NG and is getting ready to be activated. I we finished the job then, he would not have to leave his wife, son and soon to be daughter.

I'm with most of you that misses the camaraderie of being in a combat unit.
    ^1

19. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

Dec 10, 2000
    I didn't think it was, but common sense should have told you that the thread had absolutely nothing to do with German Soldiers who goose-stepped their way across Europe and Africa over the bodies of those they had planned on conquering until you put up your ignorant post.

The thread was about THE WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL IN WASHINGTON, DC THAT WAS LONG OVERDUE. Anyone would be clearly out of line if I asked the same question you did, regardless of what country they were for.

FWIW, I did not respond to your initial thread until about the dozenth time I read it.

The World War II Memorial in Washington, DC is way overdue. Unfortunately, too many of the brave men and women it is meant to honor has long since passed away. In the Philippines, Veterans of World War II who fought on our soil (including US Servicemen) have been honored by various memorials from the get go. Even today, American Veterans who return are still hailed and treated as heroes in most localities.

;?

20. spetsnaz777

spetsnaz777 Team 9mmx19

Aug 9, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    ;Q ;Q ;Q