close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Workout Routine Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Restless28

Restless28

As some of you know, I've made it a mission to help my overweight son lose weight while I workout alongside him.

We're on a 3 day a week routine from the gym owner.

5 minutes cardio
    3 sets leg curls
    3 sets leg extensions
    3 sets leg press
    3 sets calf raises
    3 sets bicep curls
    3 sets tricep extensions
    3 sets rows
    3 sets lat pulldowns
    3 sets incline press
    3 sets rear overhead press
    3 sets machine crunches
    5 minutes cardio cool down

We've gotten stronger, but his endurance fades on the shoulder and overhead presses. I think it's too many movements and it takes 1.5 hours even if we push hard.

Because of his weight issue, I think he needs more cardio, and maybe split up the movements between 3 days. He's also getting a bit bored and "not feeling it" by the end.

Any suggestions?

2. yam

yam

3. glock1911revolver

glock1911revolver Vice-Emperor

Are you doing the routine in the same order every time? I used to lift that way, but someone suggested mixing up the order, and I noticed that I firmed up much better. Endurance also improved a bit.

Just my humble (and not a professional trainer by any stretch of the imagination) opinion.

Stick with it!

4. Restless28

Restless28

No, we mix it up each time, mostly due to the crowd.

5. FCastle88

FCastle88

Unless you're lifting light weights and doing a lot of reps per set, using the same muscles 3 days a week may be too much. My workouts are more body building/strength training oriented than weight loss, so might be different for you. If you're trying to gain muscle, you have to let the muscles rest to repair and grow, try only using each muscle group 1-2 days a week, and cut the workout down to an hour. You're right, he needs a LOT more cardio for significant weight loss, 5 minutes before and after lifting is just for warming up, not weight loss.

For significant results, I'd recommend around 45 minutes of cardio at least 2-3 days a week, and then split the lifting up between 2 days. Do the cardio and lifting on separate days, or you'll be too tired to do either properly. For example, do cardio Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, do most of your upper body lifting on Tuesday, and your abs and legs on Thursday. Adjust as needed to fit your schedule, or just to mix things up a little. I'm assuming you already know this, but diet is just as important as the workout, if not more so.

6. Detectorist

Detectorist

Restless, eliminate the *small* exercises like bicep curls.

Just do:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Overhead press
    Bench press
    Pull downs or chinups.

Use the 'Starting Strength' book as a guide. For more info PM me.

7. Restless28

Restless28

I like this. This is similar to the SimpleFit routine that I had great results from with only pull-ups, push-ups, and air squats.

My son cannot do pull-ups or chin-ups yet.

Can you come up with a 3 day program with some increased cardio for him?

8. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

Wow, I'm in the same boat you are. Me and my oldest son are way overweight. He does get teased at school (mostly by the girls which seems to be more devastating than normal) and I fear it will get worse when he hits Junior High.

How did you convince him to work out? Does he play any sports or other physical activites? I'm at a loss, it's hard enough to motivate myself to workout and I have no idea how to get the boy to go along with it.

Anyway, good luck to you and your son!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  9. zagzig

zagzig

Kettle bell cardio workout. Great way to build some real world strength and cardio.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. Daltini

Daltini

If his goal is to lose weight build yourself up to sprints ERRYDAY. like 20 per day

11. silentpoet

silentpoet

Where are the squats and deadlifts?

12. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Cardio (long/slow) does not equal weight loss. Decrease the duration and increase the intensity. Do intervals. Do burpees.

Ditch the single joint exercises and do only compound, strength/mass building exercises: dead lifts, squats, pull ups, chins, presses, push ups, bench presses.

13. SunGunner

SunGunner

You have the answers here, Detectorist's programming and intervals ( I prefer intervals on the bike) or sprints. You could do Push (overhead press and bench), Pull (Rows, pull downs, face pulls), Legs (squats & deads), or you could do an upper body and lower body together and rotate through the three days. Either way compound lifts as the core and curls, triceps, and shoulder raises as accessory after you crush the main lifts if you have the energy.

14. Calico Jack

Calico Jack NO QUARTER

15. Restless28

Restless28

I simply told him that I would go with him and do everything that he did.

16. Hellraiser

Hellraiser

23 minutes per day... on a gazelle because I have really bad knees....

2 minutes warmup... 20 minutes workout... 1 minute wrapup.

Can watch TV... listen to radio.. anything... super-quiet...

Have not missed a day since January 26, 2009. The day I stopped being the Pillsbury doeboy.

^..^

17. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

Forget about the gym, because you'll need to spread out the workout over the day's time. Get yourself some simple home equipment to start with.

Go for intermediate weight, pump hard, for 5 sets of one or two minutes apiece. The number of reps isn't the point.....it's the amount of effort expended over a designated period of time. It's important to keep increasing the weight and difficulty to the point where you are close to failure, so don't stagnate. Dumbbells are the best, and those springy things work, and are cheap. Keep adding springs and chocking up to add difficulty. As you accumulate equipment, you will be eliminating the springy things in favor of more sophisticated equipment, but they are an excellent place to start.

Get at least one good cardio machine to start with.....more is better. I have several......orbital, treadmill, upright bike, rowing machine, stepper....... Any of the above will do.....the object is to get the heart used to pumping faster and stronger. The better your heart works, the better your results will be. Your muscles need blood, and lots of it, if you want improvement.......not to mention that a strong heart and circulatory system isn't just as important.

Don't worry about time.......adjust your workout to be harder, not longer. I workout twice a day for 15 minutes a session, morning and afternoon, five days a week. That adds up to 2 1/2 hours of good solid real-time workout every week. That's enough, and best for good results.

It's extremely important to give your body a period of rest, or "recovery time". I do this by not working out on the weekends, except for some bicycle riding during spring/summer/fall. Working out every day will actually decrease your results......give it a rest.

Losing weight is very simple, use more calories than you take in.......your results are guaranteed! Count calories........and quit eating what you know darn well isn't good for you.

You and your son can rent movies and play music to make the time go faster........It's what my sons and I have done. Workouts can be more than just "what's good for you"........it can be fun!......and, it can also be good quality father/son time!

good luck.........:wavey:

ooc

18. jpa

jpa CLM

So....is he trying to lose weight or build muscle mass/strength? If he wants to lose weight, nothing beats good old fashioned cardio. Instead of buying a bunch of cardio machines or going to the gym and staring at the wall while using stationary equipment....walk, jog, bike and swim. I highly recommend the couch-to-5k app for android if he has a smart phone. In the past year by doing this program and watching my food intake (limiting portion sizes, not necessarily quality) I've dropped around 40 lbs.

How old is your son? School age? College? Older? Is he interested in any sports? Even if he doesn't play competitive sports maybe playing intramural type games or in a league might help....depending on how overweight he is, any activity is bound to help.

19. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Instead of a full body workout 3 days a week.... try a 4 day per week workout?

Split the workouts. Work Chest and legs one day, maybe back and some other leg exercises another day. Chest is all "pushing" movements, you work chest and tri-ceps.
    Back is all pulling movements, such as lat pull downs, rowing motions, or curls.

This should allow the workouts to be shorter, you just add add another day. I'd also try to do 30 minutes of cardio somewhere in there, if possible. Ideally, 30 minutes of cardio, and 45 of lifting of something. Lift first so you have max energy, then treadmill or bike until you're pooped.

20. OneBigDude

OneBigDude

I've always had a hard time with my weight. At 25, I'm pretty much fed up with all of the diets I had tried. I always played sports, football, baseball,wrestling, power lifting, track, you name it I played it. Sports helped me drop some weight during season, but not significant amounts. I read a thread on here about diets or paleo vs. primal living. After researching, I went completely primal and have dropped 40 lbs since April 1, 2013. I got back into lifting 3 days a week and discovered kettlebell workouts. I have more energy, better skin, and my muscles are more defined than they ever were when I was competing in power lifting comps. On the non-lifting days and weekends, I ride a bike somewhere around 20 miles each outing. I feel great and the weight is still falling off. Look into markdailyapple for how to go primal. The problem I always had with dieting is that a diet gets you to your goal and you slowly ween off. Primal has become a lifestyle change that I highly enjoy. Have some great recipes for pizza, stuffed peppers, all kinds of things. Primal is not a "diet" and I don't plan on ever going back to the standard american diet.