close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

woods gun caliber

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 1canvas, Jun 15, 2010.

1. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

i'm trying to figure out which would be a better woods gun for bow hunting in ohio between the 23 or 32. both would be fine but i'm thinking the 32 for maybe picking off a coyote or keeping the pot farmers and meth lab people at bay. what do you think?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

If you are using it against coyotes & people, just about anything 9mm & up works fine. Where it gets dicey is trying to make your service gun stop a pissed off or overly curious large carnivor decide you are not a meal. That is the relm of the 4" magnum revolver IMO.

3. CTM_357

CTM_357
    Expand Collapse
    first gen. g17

32 for sure.

4. Brent10mm

Brent10mm
    Expand Collapse

my G32 is bad a..

if you can afford the ammo, go for it.
    then get the conversion barrels; 40 & 9mm, 3 guns in one

5. Jeepnik

Jeepnik
    Expand Collapse

It's Ohio for pete's sake. Do they have any toothy critters other than in zoos?:supergrin:

Now before the Ohioans/Ohioites, or whatever they are called get upset, I'm just kidding.:wavey:

But heck, maybe we can start "another" bear thread.:rofl:

#5 Jeepnik, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  6. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

well i have a 23 and a 32 barrel and gold dot le ammo for both. one of the biggest threats other than already mentioned are wild dogs, domestic dogs that live in the woods and run in packs.

7. 357glocker

357glocker
    Expand Collapse

Bow hunting uses archery equipment, no glock needed:tongueout:

Is it legal to carry a firearm while archery hunting in Ohio? In Nebraska it is not, just asking.

8. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

yes it is

9. Brent10mm

Brent10mm
    Expand Collapse

WA. just added a CC while bow hunting segment in the regs last year that I noticed... :whistling:

10. glocksterr

glocksterr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyGlockHippy

where i hunt you dont want to go without a cannon.

:)

11. legion3

legion3
    Expand Collapse

As some say depends on the woods. Alaska, Maine, Montana, Florida, Rhode Island ...Ohio?

Certain places even a 44 magnum may not be enough.

Most places a 10mm might make a better choice. A G20 or 29 is awfully light in weight.

Not really heard of anyone using the 357Sig round as a woods gun but who knows? I have know those who packed 357 mags while hunting.

12. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

Either will be fine. Your not trying to use it for a hunting weapon. It's just a backup. Whichever you prefer is the one to carry.

13. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP
    Expand Collapse

I'm w/Brucev. Whichever 1 you own/have should be fine (provided you stay away from fmj ammo)

14. FlyBoy007

FlyBoy007
    Expand Collapse

If I'm carrying a rifle, my woods gun is a Ruger Blackhawk (4 5/8" stainless) in .44mag, if I'm not carrying a rifle then my G-20 is with me.

My location is fairly tame carnivore wise.

My side arm need to be waterproof and rugged, I will most likely be on foot or horseback.

15. 481

Expand Collapse

I hear that Cleveland's Mayor is a rather vicious (anti-2A) sort and they let him run free. Pretty scary in my book.

:animlol:

16. degoodman

degoodman
    Expand Collapse
    Out of Columbus

If you're hunting you discharge your concealed firearm at any game animal, not just a deer, you have just comitted a major hunting violation. Will you get caught, probably not because the wildlife officers are spread pretty thin around these parts. But if you do get caught, you're looking at $3000 - $5000 in fines, and the loss of all your hunting equipment and your firearm for your trouble. Moral of the story, don't even think of discharging your CCW while hunting.

Your concealed handgun is for one purpose while afield, self defense. It is illegal in Ohio to hunt with a concealed handgun. All firearms carried for hunting purposes, including shooting groundhogs or coyotes which doesn't require a permit, must be carried openly per the Ohio hunting regulations. Carry what you're going to carry for defense against two legged BG's, and don't even think about drawing that pistol to shoot at a game animal. Your bank acount will thank you.