close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Women in gun stores

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hollytheninja, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Hollytheninja

Hollytheninja

Feb 20, 2012
    Why is it that the people who work in gun stores seem to think women who come in don't know anything about guns? It just seems like every time I'm in a store I haven't been to before I get treated like I don't know a Hi-Point from a HK. Then I get looked at like I have two heads when they find out otherwise.

2. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Mar 11, 2007
    State
    Just wait until you go to buy a new car!

3. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

They let women in gun stores in TN?

Just kidding, I have seen the same crap. It's annoying.

4. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
    Dont worry about it.

Most gun store clerks are convinced NOBODY knows a damn thing about guns.

Except them.

5. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

May 16, 2005
    Where the buffalo roam
    That's nothing. Be a woman who rides an old Harley (as my wife does), and the A-holes appear like water in a flood. HH

6. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Sep 3, 2008
    Honestly, I'm pretty sure the only women I've seen in gun stores are straw buying for their convict boyfriends.

Gun shows generally have 3 types
    1. tagging along with bf
    2. buying a carry, but not into guns
    3. gun lovers

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I got some pink guns that I'd love to sell to women.

8. BUG'S

BUG'S

Oct 3, 2011
    I would just ignore them. Reality is most gun store clerks don't know much about guns.

9. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Jun 5, 2009
    USA
    ^ This

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    The only women in gun stores should be in bikinis primping over the merchandise. Be a whole lot simpler that way.

(No, not really! LOL)

11. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

Jan 17, 2001
    On the road
    Did you bring sandwiches?

12. eclark53520

eclark53520

Feb 12, 2007
    WI
    You think they only treat women like that?

13. I sell guns as part of my job and never assume anything about anyone. Some people know more than me and some don't know anything. I also don't try to pretend like I know everything. I'm 100% honest with customers if I don't know something they ask about because I don't like being lied to, either.

I also get a lot of customers who think they know everything and go on and on spewing false information. I just let them get it out of their system without being rude.

My favorite are the customers who love to tell me every gun that they own and whether or not they have a safe. The one's who freely brag about illegal activity are the best.

14. High Altitude

High Altitude

Nov 19, 2005
    Tennessee
    Every gunstore has at least one counter person like this :rofl:

Even my favorite LGS, which has outstanding counter help for the most part, has one. I just avoid him if possible.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  15. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Dec 5, 2011
    N. Florida
    I don't think it is a gunshop thing. I think that it is a DNA thing.

I'm working with a local college's rifle team to get them competitive in the SSC . The team consists of a couple of female students that can shoot them showing up their male counterparts is more routine than not. Especially in long range rifle. Anyway . . .

College kids being college kids, sometimes it is hard to get them to focus. They want to "play" a lot. I've noticed time and time again that the secret to getting them in the grove is to run one of the young women through a given course of fire.

I mean, yeah, as a matter of fact they are physically attractive and I'm sure that figures in it . . but what I SEE is that they usually are already focused, they tend to SMOKE the course both in terms of speed and accuracy, and guys just plain don't like to be beat by . . . dare I say it . . . girls. Especially at something they perceive as being so 'male dominated'.

I see exactly the same phenomenon at the local law enforcement academy training range.

Yeah, I've been to the gun shops that treat women like idiots. And got a belly laugh realizing who the real idiot is.

Girls & Guns ROCK!!:wavey:

16. High Altitude

High Altitude

Nov 19, 2005
    Tennessee
    I have no doubt that for every bad counter person there must be at least 100 customers to match.

The last time I was in my favorite LGS this guy was browsing and every other word out of his mouth was "I read on the internet............" and then he would go on and on about why a certain firearm was junk etc................

It was pretty funny.

The counter guy handled it so well though, I was impressed.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  17. We all have to make stereotypes, every day.

Gender is just another indicator or clue we use to make assumptions about people.

Try being a dad chasing after your own little kid at the park, on a weekday.

18. That's what I was gonna say.

19. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Feb 10, 2005
    Deer Park, Texas
    That is a VERY good question! It's been my experience that it the people that work in gun stores that don't know anything about guns! Every day more and more women are buying guns, getting training. Getting a license. And carrying a gun. Not that long ago you could pretty well assume that women did not carry guns and treat them accordingly. You do that these days and it might just be the last and most serious mistake you will make on this Earth.

I have a great deal of admiration and respect for women who are strong enough to take responsibility for their own safety. Y'all ROCK!!

20. Because the vast majority of gun store employees are mall ninjas, dicks or complete morons. The good ones are few and far between.