close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Woman sues Honda in unlikely place: small claims

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Smashy, Jan 3, 2012.

1. boozer

boozer

I'm sure the car had a warranty, once that is expired the manufacturer is off the hook, since this is not a safety issue.

I have an '06 laptop that will only run for thirty minutes on the battery now, it was advertised as running two hours.

Maybe I should buy a new battery, and so should she.

2. cphilip

cphilip

I could be wrong, but I don't recall Honda ever claiming the Civic Hybrid made 50 MPG. The only Hybrid I know of that claims to get 50 mpg, and truly does, is Toyota's Prius. Which still leads that portion of the industry with a 50mpg combined rating (and consistently proves it to be true) I don't recall Honda ever making a 50 mpg claim.

3. boozer

boozer

4. DAIadvisor

DAIadvisor

They cover themselves when they put down "real mileage will depend on driving conditions and habits". So I guess if you get half of the promised mileage it's your "driving" that's causing it.

5. cphilip

cphilip

well real world... and its pretty well known... Honda has never made it... So I guess she has a beef.

6. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I guess when you cater to self rightous liberals you get sued. GO figure, they dont seem like the type to sue at all........................

7. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

One of the big problems with that model is Honda came out with a firmware update and told the owners it was to extend the life of the battery. The dealer charge for battery replacement is nearly $3000 but is paid to the dealer by Honda, not the owner. The firmware update that increases the life of the battery uses the gasoline engine more and reduces gas mileage to less than 30 mpg. The firmware update was intended to save Honda from having to pay for battery replacements. The owners weren't told what the firmware update would do to fuel mileage, only that it would extend the life of the battery.

8. boozer

boozer

A beef with who, the EPA? They put the figures on the sticker.

9. banger

banger

Virtually anyone can sue for nearly anything...

The question is...

Can you WIN.

I would bet the ranch that Honda can produce a professional driver that can get very close to the mileage figure.

This should not be confused with the real word though.

Notice that we all hear stories of this person or that, filing a suit...but do you ever hear of them winning?

10. cphilip

cphilip

I suppose so. If their test doesn't simulate anything close to reality I suppose. Didn't say she had a case though.

11. cphilip

cphilip

That story makes a lot of sense to the situation. Interesting. I know I had read some about Honda's system not really being quite mature yet but wasn't sure of any of the details.

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

So Honda said "the mileage varies depending on how the car is driven - for instance, if it gets stuck often in stop-and-go traffic." OK, duh, we all know that. Then lame-brain says, "she would have never purchased the car if she had known that." :rofl:

13. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

It sounds like her law suit is based on the class action law suit that was brought about due to the firmware update that was intended to save Honda money from not having to replace the batteries but reduced the fuel mileage to less than the non-hybrid Civic.

14. blastfact

blastfact

Our 2009 Civic Hybrid does great! It did better before the last firmware update. LMPG mostly HWY is 60 mpg. Winter hurts it. Stop and go traffic hurts it as does heavy A/C usage.

But drive it right and have a third graders understanding of the car and it's subsystems and all is good.

Common rule of thumb concerning the Civic Hybrid's and Prius is: The Prius is the city mpg champ and the Civic is the hwy mpg champ.

I would say the twit did not do any research for starters.

15. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

16. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Yeah, didn't read the article, but have heard her talk on a few shows on the radio. She's more or less suing over this. She even admitted that she knows that the mileage stickers you see on cars aren't exactly accurate.

But when they did the firmware update that did more harm than good in regards to mileage, she decided to sue over it. She chose small claims because she would be more likely to win.

17. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Honda Spokesman says - you buy our car American!

[​IMG]

18. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Not always. Most mileage figures as posted on the Monroney sticker are determined by the manufacturer. The EPA only tests/rates a handful of models on the road. The manufacturer does the math, and unless the EPA thinks it's outright wrong, it goes on the sticker without further testing.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  19. AA#5

AA#5