Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Wireless Router?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by klt1986, May 31, 2010.

1. klt1986

Feb 28, 2007
    Looking for some help installing a wireless router. My internet connection is DSL and my main computer is a HP Pavilion. I don't think it has wireless capabilities, so what are my options? Any recommendations on brands would be appreciated.

Edited to add: My main reason for wanting wireless is for my son to play x-box 360 online. Can I run my home computer hard wired to the wireless router and then the x-box 360 wireless??
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. mattyk6

Sep 30, 2001
    Yes, you can run your computer with a wired connection and your son can connect his 360 wirelessly.

Most home wireless routers (if not all), have 4 ports to connect hardware with a wired connection.

I have my desktop pc and 360 connected to my router via wire and laptop/wii/tivo connected wirelessly.
    Last edited: May 31, 2010

3. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    I prefer Netgear and Linksys for routers. Not to say there's not other brands that are good, just I've had good experience w/ those.

For gaming, because sometimes wireless can be flaky, I prefer a hardwired connection. Is there any way you can run cable between the xbox and the router? What's the distance between the router and the xbox? Is the xbox(for instance) in the basement, and the router on the main floor or second floor?

Even though the xbox will be the only thing on the wireless network, you need to read up on securing your wireless network, so you're not providing wireless gaming for every kid in the neighborhood, because that will effect your speed at home.

I've bought this one new about 2yrs ago.., and have been pretty happy with it. Router is in the main floor bedroom, and I've used my laptop in the basement, upstairs, back yard, etc.. Signal strength varies depending on where I am obviously, but I rarely lose my connection. Fairly easy to set up falling the instructions.. like I said, just make sure you read up on securing your network if you go wireless(and if you buy a wireless router and don't use the wireless function, make sure you disable it)

4. Ralff

Sep 10, 2008
    Central FL
    Same. Although wireless has made big improvements and can reliably support gaming now. I still prefer to hard wire though. :)
  5. unit 900

unit 900

Sep 3, 2000
    Baltimore, Md
    You can also put your HP desktop on your wireless network, it seems that you mentioned it had no such capability and were looking at options. You can purchase a USB wireless adapter at a pretty low price. That will allow your desktop to be on your wireless network, as well as any mobile computing devices. I have both D-Link and Netgear adapters and they are pretty bulletproof. Here's an example:

Sorry, TinyUrl didn't seem to make it past the editing software

I've seen the older "G" series adapters (they work fine) for around $5 on various internet shopping sites
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. pilsbury

Apr 23, 2010
    Gotham City
    I have a Linksys router connected to my DSL modem, hooked to my desktop in the teenager's rec room. I run my Dell laptop from it as well as my Blackberry wifi. The kids also have their xbox plugged into it, all works great.
  7. dyvegas

May 15, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Netgear is absolutely terrible. I have never found any good from that company. I have an Apple router that works well with Mac and PC computers. Easy set up too. Really strong signal that doesn't need constant restarting.
  8. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Both routers I've had from Netgear(FVS114 and the one listed above) have been absolutely flawless.

Personally I think if you go w/ the big names (Linksys, Netgear, Belkin) you'll probably be fine no matter what you choose. Just make sure you set up your router properly and set up it's security protocols.

9. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

That's good advice ... especially the part about setting up the security. I've never understood why it's not done by default.