***Wireless Router question....PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by illuminate100, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Ok, so I can't get DSL at the new place, so I get charter cable. I buy a Linksys WGC200 modem/router two in one deal. I set it up and everything is working great, problem is I can't figure out how to encrypt my wireless signal because there is no software installed for the modem/router.

I followed the instruction which said to plug everything in and then turn it on...then put in the CD. Well, the CD seems to only have a user guide and the drivers for the USB cable, which I don't use since I have an ethernet port and therefore use the ethernet cable. So what gives? When I had DSL the modem/router had software that walked me through the thing. A

ny help would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't want people stealing my connection or personal info. I checked for drivers/software online but there isn't any, including the linksys website. I also tried messing with the network connection settings, but the only settings I can adjust are the LAN settings on my desktop. I looked at the laptop settings, but I don't know that I would do it from there.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Dan

2. saber41

saber41 Guest

You should be able to configure your router through the web based utility.

Open your browser, in the address line type 192.168.0.1, then press the "enter" key.
    You should get a log on screen,
    default username: leave blank
    default password: "admin" (its a good idea to change the default p/w on the router)

from here look for the "wireless" tab, you should be able to set your encryption levels here.

3. Personally I just filter on MAC Address and disable SSID broadcast. The MAC filtering alone should be good enough in most cases.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/

4. A thank you to everyone who has posted, and I mean that. I am not currently at home, but when I get there tonight I am going to follow these steps. I will post my progress.

-Dan