close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

wireless across 1300 ft, win and linux?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by shu, Nov 8, 2005.

1. shu

shu Millennium Member

Dec 10, 1999
    pharr, tx
    can this be done at reasonable cost? if so, what equipment is required?

at home my internet (roadrunner) comes thru a linux box (redhat 8.0) which i use for firewall, router, and some servers (http, ftp, mysql) for stuff (linux and windows boxes, printers, scanners) around the house. all this was wired with ethernet cable.

recently i began 'getting smart' about wireless, got a d-link di-514 wireless router, and set it up to run some of the machines at home through a 255.255.255.240 subnet of my 192.168.2.xxx lan here. (mostly done to eliminate some inconvenient wiring and prepare for the following project.)

what i know about networking is what i have been obliged to learn to get all the above going, and am at the limit of my knowledge.

we have a studio building located about 1300 feet distant from the house where i have a dual boot machine (win98 and linux) and print server. i would like to connect the studio to the home lan and add more equipment there. line-of-sight is not a problem.

i figure a couple of good outdoor directional antennas (maybe $100 to $150 each) would make the link, but am near clueless about what should feed the antennas. i have another d-link di-514 on hand. this would serve at the studio end to sub-net out the hosts there. i guess what is lacking is a pair of devices to throw and catch a single ip address between the antennas.

hub-at-home <> device <> antenna <...
    ...> antenna <> device <> di-514-at-studio.

what sort of device am i looking for?
    about how much cost each?
    recommendation of known suitable antenna?

much obliged for any advice.. shu

2. raysheen

raysheen

Oct 27, 2005
    NH
    not sure what the distance specification of 802.11G is but I know it's supposed to be a far bit longer than 108.11B ... though I don't know if it's as far as 1300 feet ... I think for a reliable connection, you would need a good antenna, we set one of these up for about a mile connection one time and it worked very well:
    http://www.fab-corp.com/

3. pyblood

pyblood

Dec 22, 2003
    Mississippi
    There is a company named ParkerVision that makes wireless equipment. They have a router that claims to have a one-mile line-of-sight range. It’s the SignalMAX WR1500 router. Just do a search for some reviews on it.

4. shu

shu Millennium Member

Dec 10, 1999
    pharr, tx
    Thanks. Believe i've found the answer to this. Two each of d-link DWL-2200AP bridges and ANT24-0801 directional outdoor antenna should do it. May be useful to other folks with similar project. Street price of +/- 100 bucks each item.

Probably other manufacturer's stuff available as well, i just started with d-link because their DFE-253TX pci nic works with Linux. Wish they would make a wireless nic would do the same!

5. thonl

thonl Millennium Member

Feb 7, 1999
    Great White North
    Buffalo Technology makes some really excellent wireless gear to, that is particularly tailored to these types of applications.

If you are doing wireless bridges, drivers shouldnt really be a concern, since the bridge is just a way of turning a regular network card into a wireless card. In other words, the network card you are currently using gets plugged into the bridge with a network cable, and the bridge transparently passes the traffic over the wireless network.

Check out http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless.php for some of their gear