close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wireing network jacks

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pal2511, Oct 27, 2004.

1. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

In my new house I plan on installing network jacks in 3 of the rooms. I want to have at least 10/100 mb speed. I know I need a crimper and the plugs and cable....do you guys reccomend anything else.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

Cable tester. It's some money, about $80 or up to as much as you want to spend, but it's worth its weight in gold when you're trying to figure out why something's not talking.
    [​IMG]
    Belkin online price $89.99
    DanH

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

4. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

I plan on having 3 items plugged into the network in the living room. Do you think it would be better to hook up the 3 devices to a switch then to teh network panel. Or somehow get 3 network panels wired up seperatly into the wall.. I am gonna have a xbox/playstation 2 and pc

5. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

6. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

7. pal2511

pal2511
    Expand Collapse

Do I need a special cable to penetrate floors and walls? I remember while reading an old A+ or mcse manual that you had to get a special type of cable that started with a P ...I think. Enlighten me..I havnt did this networking stuff for a longggg time.

8. lomfs24

lomfs24
    Expand Collapse

I don't know anything about special cable to go through walls and floors. I have cable strung all over my house and it is just the blue stuff you get from Radio Shack.

As far as testers. The ones that HerrGlock mentioned test for more than continuity. I think the ones you were looking at just see if there is a connection from end to end.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. You could always try the cheap tester and then if you are having network problems then you could get the more expensive one to find out what the problems is. Maybe you could find a local electronics shop or electical shop who would rent you one for a while.

9. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

Wire: Make sure it's CAT 5 or CAT 6.

Kit with everything looks like a nice one, but the cable is not shielded. If you run it by a power cable, you'll screw up the network traffic.

Standard setup is out of wall to switch near the port. Computers get plugged into switch.

DanH

10. pfrigm

pfrigm
    Expand Collapse

What HerrGlock said. The "starts with P" thing is probably "plenum rated" cable. Plenum rated cable uses a jacket material that when heated to a high temp (like in a fire), will not give off toxic fumes. In new constuctions that have plenum (ie non-ducted) spaces above the ceiling, you are supposed to use plenum rated cable to be in compliance with code. At our facility, we simply ducted everything and left the ceilings open (saved money on ceiling materials as well as not having to pay for the more expensive plenum rated cable). In areas where we did have plenum space, we ran conduit for the cable so that the cable was enclosed. Unless you are running your cable through duct work (don't do that, by the way:)), you don't need plenum cable. You do want Cat5e or Cat6, however - even if most residential codes call for Cat3 as a minimum.

11. renman

renman
    Expand Collapse

Have you considered wireless ??

12. JohnCT

JohnCT
    Expand Collapse

Pal2511, PM me if you want to get the specifics of what you should use for the whole setup. I'll go through the whole process with you.

13. Clyde

Clyde
    Expand Collapse
    Lost in KY
    Millennium Member

Check out Smart home for Wall Plates. I like the Leviton stuff.

I would Drop JohnCT a PM :) -

Do you have any other devices on the Network? (PC, Servers, Network Printers, or AP's) What are you using to connect to www (DSL, Cable?)

14. JohnCT

JohnCT
    Expand Collapse

15. AggieMM

AggieMM
    Expand Collapse
    Aggie Glocker

I agree with this!!!! Unless you're installing cables in new construction for a specific reason, I highly recommend going wireless, specifically 802.11g. It is cheaper, easier, and secure enough with proper configurations. You'll save on switch and cable costs.

However, I did wire my entire house, but I only did it because the house would only be sheetrock free once in its lifetime. Gave the foreman a 6 pack and pulled the cable over a weekend. Another reason for doing it was for the "geek" badge of honor. :)

Ryan

P.S. - Shameless bragging, here's my setup - Ryan's Network Pic

16. JohnCT

JohnCT
    Expand Collapse

hehe Cisco Catalyst switches....sun....hp...hehe nice stuff :)

If any of you need a hookup for APC stuff, let me know.

17. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

I've got a handful of Ultras and SPARCs and use PIXs. Do you have three phase A/C UPSs? That's my next one.

DanH

18. AAshooter

AAshooter
    Expand Collapse

This outfit has a lot of materials and products for home wiring. It is small shop in my area where a lot of do-it-yourselfers get help, advice and materials. This is a link to their Learning page. They have some nice write-ups on wiring for a variety of tasks.

http://www.hometech.com/learn/index.html

19. JohnCT

JohnCT
    Expand Collapse

I could get you set with 3 phase UPS. I'm not sure whether you're just wanting the higher end smart ups or if you're looking to get into the infrastruxure or symmetra line. Let me know. :)

20. srhoades

srhoades
    Expand Collapse

That would be Plenum.