close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wipe out hard drive?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Berthold, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Berthold

Berthold
    Expand Collapse
    NRA member
    Millennium Member

I got a new computer and want to give away my old system, but don't want any info given away.

Is there any freeware that will wipe out any personal info while keeping the operating system intact?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.
    Expand Collapse

That will be very difficult while keeping the OS.You could download Feather Linux.Burn it to CD and install Linux while wiping Windows.Feather Linux is small as far as Linnux CD's go so if you have broadband it shouldn't take long.

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/featherlinux/feather-0.7.5.iso

When doing the hard disk install make a 128mb swap partition and use the XFS file system for the rest of the disk.For some reason Feather Linux will only install on an XFS file system.

The download is about 120mb.

Even if you fail to install Feather Linux to the hard drive the CD can still be used as a Linux OS,live from CD with a blank hard drive.

http://featherlinux.berlios.de/about.htm

3. Meman5150

Meman5150
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't trust that. A fellow friend of mine went so out of his way with his personal information that he took a drill and drilled holes in the harddrive. Is that overkill? Depends on what you have on the drive. A new hard drive isn't really that expensive if you get a lower ended one. Of course I'm sure you know you will need a rather big one if you plan on holding media files. I hope I have helped. I would keep the hard drive myself. Good luck

4. Berthold

Berthold
    Expand Collapse
    NRA member
    Millennium Member

I'll probably remove the drive and empty a mag into. Its an old (1998) computer.

Can sell off the memory or other parts anywhere?

Thanks for your help!

5. David_G17

David_G17
    Expand Collapse
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

it's doubtful.

maybe if you put an ad in the paper "computer for sale - no hard drive" you might be able to sell it. but don't plan on getting much.

you might be able to donate it to a children's shelter or women's shelter, etc.

6. Hailstorm

Hailstorm
    Expand Collapse
    Boom Shacka

You know you can delete the pron file by themselves;)

7. fastvfr

fastvfr
    Expand Collapse
    Ancient Tech

You need the Ultimate Boot CD!

There is a utility called Autoclave that will sanitize a HDD very efficiently.

It takes awhile, but if you run it for 25 or more passes even the NSA cannot retrieve any ifo from the drive, according to the site...

I have also used it to salvage HDD's originally formatted while attached to nasty OEM machines and that refused to be fdisked or repartitioned when connected to a newer, better PC.

This CD also has about 50 other useful apps besides Autoclave.

Go nuts!

8. Meman5150

Meman5150
    Expand Collapse

That CD sounds awesome, however I'm pretty sure the NSA could get anything they wanted out of the computer. I'm pretty they could crack everything microsoft if they wanted to, in a couple of minute. Some of those people are to bright.

9. frefoo

frefoo
    Expand Collapse

If you wipe the data there is nothing for NSA to recover.

When I was in the military wiping the drive was approved for destroying classified data.

That’s what drive wiping programs do. They are not dependent on the OS/Hard drive installed so they are able clean the drive so the data (including the OS) is not recoverable.

I am not sure if Ultimate Boot CD meets the DOD requirements, however I have used programs like that in the past to destroy classified data.

10. Meman5150

Meman5150
    Expand Collapse

Yes, I am aware of what drive wiping programs do but it doesn't sound like you are familiar with NSA protocal. Keep in mind its...Security...and It's Americas best. And DOD, maybe you are right but surely they can recover things that have been deleted. I know this for a fact.

11. David_G17

David_G17
    Expand Collapse
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

yes, they can recover deleted files, but when files are re-written over the same place on the disk, the previous files can not be recoverd (well not without sonic-based technology, etc. which is why if done 25 times like mentioned above, even that becomes impossible).

it's not a question of how bright the NSA guys are, it's a question of physics. It becomes physically impossible to read a bit from a drive if it's been re-written to 25 times.

12. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac
    Expand Collapse

Google on BootNuke.

13. darin2

darin2
    Expand Collapse

Try Secure Clean. They have a demo, that is fully functional for like 3 uses. It works in windows and over writes the deleted area of your hard drive, removes cookies and temp internet files, and will shred any file you ask it to. It also erases file slack. It does multiple hard drive overwrites.

http://www.whitecanyon.com/download-identity-theft-software.php

14. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac
    Expand Collapse

No reason in the world you should pay for something you can get for free. http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/download.php

Works great. I use it all the time. Right click your volume and choose erase unused space. It will DoD wipe all the unused space making it impossible to recover those files.

15. Meman5150

Meman5150
    Expand Collapse

Yes I knew that too I just didn't type it out. So I'm figuring we are on the same page.

16. fatlander

fatlander
    Expand Collapse
    Comrade

besides a degausser there is no way to erase the info from the hard. its just a question of how much THEY need the info and willing to pay for it

17. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac
    Expand Collapse

non-sense
    I worked in IT for the DoD for years, and have been in IT for nearly 15 years. I suggest you do some research on the "DoD algorithm".

I have had to work with several forensic services for data analysis and recovery. A well executed DoD wipe will render forensenics useless.

On base we got to the point of just throwing them in the shredder. Though I am sure this is not what the original poster had in mind. ;Q

18. fatlander

fatlander
    Expand Collapse
    Comrade

dont start quoting dod regulations with me, the dod 5220 states that a secret information may be wiped with 7 repeating overwrites of the harddrive, but more classified information should be shreded or degaussed with an NSA/DOD approved degausser.

quote:
    "US Department of Defense 5220.22-M Clearing and Sanitization Matrix

a. Degauss with a Type I degausser

b. Degauss with a Type II degausser.

c. Overwrite all addressable locations with a single character.

d. Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, then a random character and verify. THIS METHOD IS NOT APPROVED FOR SANITIZING MEDIA THAT CONTAINS TOP SECRET INFORMATION.

e. Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, then a random character.

f. Each overwrite must reside in memory for a period longer than the classified data resided.

g. Remove all power to include battery power."

19. glock_n_hood

glock_n_hood
    Expand Collapse

Wipe or format the drive,then write all zeros to the drive,then,i f one were to use the hard drive for target practice or drill holes in the drive plates, take them out grind the sh** out of the plate surfaces,both sides.Use a torch to cut up remaining pieces,spray water on them so the rust.I would like to see any data extracted off of them after all that.I think it would be impossible to extract data IMO. Or can data still be found?

20. Meman5150

Meman5150
    Expand Collapse

lol, we totally got off subject in the battle of wits.