close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wingmaster Forend Tube

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by unit 900, Nov 5, 2013.

1. unit 900

unit 900

Sep 3, 2000
    Baltimore, Md
    I have an early 1960's Pennsylvania State Police 870 Wingmaster. I ordered a Hogue overmolded stock and forend to lessen the LOP. The original wood forend seems permanently welded to the tube/action bar assembly. The lock nut came off with the correct tool, but I cannot get the tube out of the forend. Tapping, heat and twisting offer no help. Is there any way to get it off without ruining the wood forend, which I would like to keep? I expect decades of trunk storage warped/shrunk the wood so as to make it seem a permanent package. I don't want to fork out another $50 for an additional tube assembly. Thanks for any help.

2. Tuned in as I have a 69' Wingmaster and I ordered Magpul furniture to replace the wood. Hopefully you can get it off without damaging the wood forend.

3. unit 900

unit 900

Sep 3, 2000
    Baltimore, Md
    The tube is mighty thin and I'm afraid that hammering on the threaded end will bend the tube or trash the threads. Hopefully someone here will have a trick or tip that will work.

4. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    The forend is split down the middle and you have to spread that split. Once you do that it will lossen up enough to pull the forend tube assembly off. If you want it to be very easy simply spray some oil into the split and let it seep between the wood and the forend tube assembly, then spread the forend and pull the forend tube assembly out as you are spreading it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  5. unit 900

unit 900

Sep 3, 2000
    Baltimore, Md
    Aippi; I tried the lube route with no luck. A liberal application made no difference. I haven't tried putting it in the freezer, I will do that next.

6. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Did you spread the forend at the split? I use an old 1/2" wood chisel that I filed the edge down on. You can use a large flat screw driver also. Stick it in the split and twist to spread the forend open. That is why the split is there.

7. unit 900

unit 900

Sep 3, 2000
    Baltimore, Md
    Aippi, that makes sense. I'll try to gently pry apart after another lube job.

8. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Yes, go easy. The edges of the forend in the split will deform a little but that is how to take them off. I get plenty of these in for rebuild and I have yet to find the one I could not remove with that method, well, "yet", after 30+ years of working but the day will come for sure.

9. I decided to see how easy mine would come off. Luckily it slid right off with some force. I would try some oil/lube again and just make sure when you pull that you pull it straight off and not cock-eyed.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

10. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    If any of you guys want to sell your sets, PM me & let me know... I buy 870 sets.

When you give me your price, keep in mind- I gotta make money.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  11. AK74play

AK74play

Jun 26, 2010
    Indiana
    For God sakes, don't get in a hurry. I have found some with a lifetime of trunk usage has drawn enough dampness to cause the tube to rust under the wood. This will cause it to stick like it was glued on. Pre mature prying has left me with a few chunks of wood still stuck in the rust after most of the for end finally came off. I have never seen one with the split referred to, but I have cut a few down the center to try to relieve them. After that they usually came off with just a bit if force, but the one that shown signs of rust on the tube were real experiences getting them off. Best of luck just don't try to rush it. You will be pissed if it don't come off in one piece.

12. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Never seen one with a split down it? Here is what an 870P forend looks like.
    View attachment 236411
    click on the picture and you can see it real good.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  13. AK74play

AK74play

Jun 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Well, at least now I can say I've seen one. Until now all of them I have seen were solid without that split. That is news to me and should make it easier to take off I would think. Unfortunately the rust I spoke of has caused me to trash a couple.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    My 1969 Wingmaster was split down the center.

15. I don't think my 69' Wingmaster had a split but I will check to verify.