close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Windows Vista to 7?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bensmiata, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Bensmiata

Bensmiata

Apr 26, 2010
    Vista sucks, period. My mom has a computer with Vista and she missed the upgrade since I was out to sea. What is the best alternative for her to move to windows 7?

2. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Go purchase the upgrade disk. Simple installation.

3. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    You may have to research the drivers if the computer maker quit making that model before Windows 7 came out. Windows Vista can be "improved" quite a bit by turning off some "features."

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I agree, find the drivers first because they can be very hard to find ... especially for laptops. FWIW I have been able to use XP drivers if you all else fails.

Yes but first backup your data and do a clean install.

5. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    I've got a Dell built in 2007. I was pleasantly surprised that 7 found everything, except drivers for my Samsung 24" monitor. Love 7.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  6. You can use a free tool called DriverMax to backup the current drivers and then import them into the system after you install 7, if needed.

Vista drivers almost always work with 7. Unless it's some totally rinky-dink, unknown laptop, you should be able to find current drivers just fine.

Do a clean install of 7 though, do not do the upgrade where you simply install over Vista.

7. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    My HD went bad so I replaced it. I had Vista on the laptop prior. I had to reload Vista (had to borrow the disks) then reload my 7 upgrade. I was also able to get all the drivers from the Dell website which were easily found based on my laptop's serial number. I was surprised how easy it was to do.

8. I once put lipstick on a pig. It was still a pig. :whistling:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011