close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Windows Password Bypass

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by puckhead, May 10, 2012.

1. puckhead

puckhead

Feb 26, 2009
    The wife dug out an old computer she had and wanted me to get it up and running. Only thing is is has an old password that she cant remember. It is Windows Vista. Any tips guys? Thanks!

2. MySiK26

MySiK26 ******

there are pw crackers out there for download. Maybe one of the IT guys here can help ya out.

3. puckhead

puckhead

Feb 26, 2009
    Thought about that but I don't know anything about them. I will have to look and see what there is. Have you used any?

4. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I've used Nordahl to bypass admin passwords on NT machines. They claim it will work on all versions up through 64-bit Win7.

5. JimmyN

JimmyN

Sep 29, 2006
    Virginia
    I usually use the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD). They even have a UBCD for Windows that provides a simple XP desktop to make it easier for the computer challenged. It's freeware so there is no cost to try it.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/ The iso download and all the instructions are on that site for the Windows UBCD. It will work with Vista as it uses the same SAM file as other versions of Windows.

UBCD is a good tool it has a lot of disk utilities, diagnostic tools, etc that come in handy. It will show all the user accounts and you can change or blank any of the passwords so you can log in. But... you knew there had to be one right..... if the user encrypted any of the files with Windows you will still need the password to open those, there is no way to change the password or remove the encryption from files.

6. Ralff

Ralff

Sep 10, 2008
    Central FL
    Vista?? Wipe/reinstall. :supergrin:

7. zappadragon

zappadragon

Aug 9, 2010
  8. sappy13

sappy13

Sep 30, 2007
    Bremen, GA
    i use active boot disk. only had an issue on a few machines where it didnt see the sam hives.

9. puckhead

puckhead

Feb 26, 2009
    Thanks guys! I'll give some a try and let you know how it goes

10. puckhead

puckhead

Feb 26, 2009
    Checked some of the sites out and they seem a bit over my head at the moment. I almost need a step by step for some of them.

11. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Like Ralff said, skip trying to crack the password. It's an old machine with a horrid operating system. You would want/need the cracker if you were trying to recover data in the original user accounts. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Just reinstall Ubuntu, W7, or XP (in that order) and run with it. No reason to try and salvage the Vista installation.

12. birda40

birda40 Woody

Nov 19, 2011
    Chicago, Ill.
    I've started in safe mode, been awhile but you can change pass add admins.... sometimes. Worth a try ?

13. 93GT

93GT The Ogre

Jul 6, 2002
    This is the one I have used in the past, it worked both times so I never had a reason to experience any others.

14. I0WA

I0WA

Feb 1, 2012
  15. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
  16. teweekley

teweekley

Nov 20, 2009
    Change NT Password is a small bootable cd that allows you to wipe the password and unlock accounts. Give it a try. We always used it to unlock PCs before fixing them for the customer (customers were never smart enough to write the password down on the paperwork).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chntpw