close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Windows Disk De-Frag is Crap

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cobra64, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Hi,

Has anyone noticed that Windows De-Frag has become almost worthless? I run Disk Cleanup and De-Frag every night and this is the best it will do:

[​IMG]

Is there a utility that works? I want to get it on a DVD so that I can use it on all of our family's PCs.

2. What exactly are you trying to achieve by defragmenting your drive every night?

3. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

De-fragged files reduces disk read/writes and speeds up throughput.

4. And what does that _practically_ mean for your computer? Such as "after I defragment my drive, Photoshop opens a batch of 10 files in 46 seconds instead of 57"?
    I personally have abandoned defragmenting after NTFS and ATA100 came along. Measure the actual performance of your computer (as in how long it takes to perform a certain task before and after defragmenting, not the "throughput" and "disk read/writes"), and you may do the same.

5. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Thanks you for your response but I am still seeking an answer to my request regarding file defragmentation software.

6. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

7. Let us know how well it works.

8. flyt100

flyt100

Jun 7, 2006
    I use Defraggler, and it seems to work fine (By the same people that make CCleaner). It's free too.

Defragging does make a practical difference, and I still find the need to do it on NTFS drives. I use some fairly large files, and it can be noticeable.

http://www.defraggler.com/

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  9. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I agree that you do need to defrag all Windows OS’s, just how often you defrag depends on what you do with your computer BUT every night is definitely overkill … it's hard to see any real performance difference unless your system is extremely fragmented.

Once every three months is more than sufficient for most users. If you constantly add and delete data, install and uninstall programs then you might need to defrag each month.

BTW if you think XP's defrag is crap wait until you see Vistas!

10. two words: voo doo

11. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

:rofl:

12. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

13. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member CLM

Jan 3, 2007
    CCTX
    30% makes things better,
    30% makes things worse,
    40% has no effect?

Heck, that makes it as effective as cryo-treatment of barrels....

14. ax157

ax157 Libertarian

Oct 14, 2003
    Yeah pretty much. :cool:

15. Defragging your HD every single day is exactly like detail stripping & deep cleaning your guns every single day; all you are accomplishing is accelerating wear and tear.

You are not getting your drive cleaner but you are shortening its life span by making it work so much more and you certainly are NOT seeing any performance increases.