close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winchester WMA brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Nov 16, 2013.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike
    Expand Collapse
    Way too busy

I have some winchester WMA 13 9mm brass that I picked up today at the range.

1. Does anyone know anything, good or bad, about this brass?

2. There does appear to be a crimp around the primer, but I checked the inside diameter with my calipers and it was identical to a random case that didn't have the crimp ring. Will I have any issues seating primers?

Thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. FiremanMike

FiremanMike
    Expand Collapse
    Way too busy

No one has seen/loaded this brass?

3. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

It is suppose to be from the newer Winchester plant. The older plant uses headstamp, "WCC" and the newer location uses, "WMA" for military ammunition that requires different headstamp markings for different plant locations.

4. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm
    Expand Collapse
    Dog Lover

The two inside diameters might be similar but the actual edge where your primer enters the primer pocket would be a critical issue.

5. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

I don't know anything about the brass but if it is military as posited above, yes, the primer will probably be crimped and, yes, you will have problems when seating primers.

Why not just try a few? Either the new primers seat properly or they don't. You'll know in a couple of minutes. BTW, I have never been happy trying to jam a primer into a crimped pocket. It seems to me there is a real good chance of a detonation.

RCBS makes a primer pocket swaging die set for single stage presses. A lot of people make reamers to use in a drill motor. Dillon & RCBS make bench swagers. The Dillon 1050 has a primer swaging station built in.

If the pockets are crimped, you will have to decide whether to a) dispose of the brass, b) save it for another day or c) deal with it.

Richard

6. FiremanMike

FiremanMike
    Expand Collapse
    Way too busy

Yeah, I'll try one and see, but you're probably right..

They were WWB, I can't understand why winchester started doing that.. what a pain.

Thanks guys.

7. gwalchmai

gwalchmai
    Expand Collapse
    Lucky Member

I've literally crushed a few primers that got in off-kilter and they've not gone off. As long as you're not hitting them pretty hard (SMACK!) they'll take a lot of abuse.

That said, your advice is wise.

8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan
    Expand Collapse

And I have blown up 2 trying to seat a LPP in a SPP case. Not a big deal but it does add a little excitement to the process.

I want a radius on the primer pocket. Even if the primer would fit by dimension, a little lead-in makes seating go a lot better.

Richard

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai
    Expand Collapse
    Lucky Member

Wow. Were you going fast or did you set them off with just pressure? I've never popped one (yet).

I agree with that. ;)

10. Craig Prothero

Craig Prothero
    Expand Collapse

I too picked some up from the range and was having primer seating issues even with Winchester primers. Finally said screw it and pulled them all out an threw them away.

11. rg1

rg1
    Expand Collapse

Winchester in order to bust the union in East Alton Illinois moved their plant to Oxford Mississippi. Plus the Governor of Miss. and local government offered Winchester bribes of tax breaks, land, etc. if they would move. It is the same type brass as WCC and it does have a mild primer crimp. Very good brass and just a light swage of the primer pocket is all that's needed. Like mentioned, the military needs a headstamp showing where the cartridge brass or ammo was manufactured so they came up with WMA with the M meaning Mississippi. Shame that the long time workers in Illinois lost their jobs just because Win didn't want to deal with a union. Don't like the Union busting tactics of companies today and don't like States and communities offering bribes to get a company to move with little or no regard for people.

12. WeeWilly

WeeWilly
    Expand Collapse

Having a military head stamp may or may not mean it has a crimp ring. If Winchester decided to use an over run of military brass for commercial purposes, it is possible they didn't crimp it.

As suggested, give a handful a try. If you go slow and stop when it becomes obvious you are short of a full stroke and meeting serious resistance you wont set them off. You can deprime one that got stuck with a sizing/decapping die, again it won't set anything off. Slow is the operative word.

13. Iannluci

Iannluci
    Expand Collapse

I bought a few boxes of Winchester whit box and half the box had wma 15 40 sw stamped on it and the other half had just reg win 40 sw on it ..... Never noticed the diffrent stamps in the same box before

14. Steelburner

Steelburner
    Expand Collapse

I recently bought two boxes of WWB 124-grain NATO 9mm ammo. They have the tiny NATO cross-in-a-circle and red dye around the primer that announces they are NATO spec rounds. They are heavily crimped and stamped WMA with a date stamp of 15. I have bought and used a K&M Shooting Specialty primer pocket correcting tool. It's relatively inexpensive and really fast to use.