Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Winchester Silver Tip 9 MM 115 Grain

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Cream Soda Kid, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid

Jul 16, 2010
    Hello Mr. Ayoob,
    I have a question regarding the effectiveness of Winchester Silver Tips in 9MM Luger 115 grain. I have a G19 & a G26 that both shoot the Silver Tips very accurately. I recently “inherited” a few boxes of Silver Tips, and a few boxes of Federal 9BPLE 115 grain +P+.
    These two pistols shoot the 9PBLE’s very accurately also. So accuracy isn’t an issue for me regarding the two cartridges. I’ve heard and read reports and accounts of the 9BPLE indicating that it’s very effective as a self defense round for everyday carry. But I haven’t seen anything, good or bad, regarding the Silver Tip cartridge. I know you’ve done lots of research on defensive ammo, so I would like to know what your opinion is on the effectiveness or efficacy of the Winchester Silver Tip as a self defense round.
    Thanks for all you do,
    Lee, AKA Cream Soda Kid
  2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    The more powerful 9BPLE has a better track record than the same-weight Silvertip, as does Winchester's own 115 grain +P+, currently sold in their Ranger line. The +P+ loads would get my nod.