Winchester Ranger: Too many QC problems, will no longer purchase **pics**

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Warp, Oct 7, 2011.

1. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Wow. I've got a BUNCH of Ranger ammo, and I've not seen anything like that. Were the boxes themselves dinged up? I did once get a shipment of ammo that got CRUSHED by the conveyor system at UPS. I mean CRUSHED. See pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sent photos and an email to Ammunition to Go. They immediately sent out a new replacement shipment, and UPS picked up the damaged shipment. But, other than that fluke, I've had nothing but excellent service and products from ATG.com (and a few other online dealers).

But, I'll take a closer look at my Ranger ammo just to be sure. But, to my knowledge, so far, I've not had anything like what you showed us.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wow, those really did get crushed.

The boxes were in as good of a condition as you can get after shipping. Near perfect for most, a little crinkled on the end or corner on a few due to their location on a corner when shipped.

#22 Warp, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  3. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Yikes! :wow:

I have never had any trouble with the Ranger line but wow! I'll have to keep an eye on mine in the future.

4. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Just what is happenning to Winchester Ammo? Decades of high quality, now suspect ammo.

5. Maybe they have had time to correct their mistakes....seeing how the last post was in October 2011.

:supergrin:

6. Good enough for FBI, good enough for me.

7. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I know the Winchester general manager - I'll have to email him about this.

8. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Where do you buy your Ranger?

Most notably, where do you buy RA556B?

9. A little off topic, but I have found the new Ranger T-series over the last 4 years have had expansion issues when shot into wet pack.
    Comparing today's T-series to much older T-series the new ones have the talons made with thicker metal. When they do expand, mainly the jacket expands with very little lead involved. I have had problems with the 127 +p+ round and the 45 acp rounds. The 165gr. 40's still work really well. My wife had always carried the 127 +p+ in her G19 and she had to switch to a different round when our older supply was used up. Most of the time only half of the bullet expands on the newer rounds when shooting through clothing into wet pack.

I actually think there was a test run by tnoutdoors9 that showed the round not expanding at all.

#29 PghJim, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  10. First, a little background...

I was the firearms instructor for a moderate sized Northeast Police Dept..

We issued and qualified with Winchester Ranger ammo exclusively. We used ammo in 9mm, .40 S&W, and primarily .45 ACP..

Over a 10 year (or so) period, I have personally fired or witness the firing of 100's of thousands of round of Ranger ammo.

In all this firing and issuing, I have probably seen fewer than a dozen defective cartridges.

#30 banger, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  11. barth

barth six barrels

I use Winchester Ranger T-Series almost exclusively as self defense ammo
    in .45, 40, 357 Sig and 9mm.
    Have shot literally cases without a single issue.

My second choice is Speer GDHP and Federal HST.
    Although I don't have the same volume experience with them.
    They have been trouble free as well.

#31 barth, Feb 23, 2013
  12. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766
    CLM

Generally I have not seen anything with Winchester that I do not see with other brands.

How ever Winchester has been doing some house cleaning before moving. In the last couple of years they flooded the market with 135 and 155gr 40 cal Ranger ammo that Police would not buy. They also had tons of Bonded ammo that some were sub par others were just in the way and needed to go. The sub par was not the fault of the guys here. The dies were shot but management did not want to replace then since production was moving any way.

Teaching new unskilled labor has turned out to be harder and more time consuming than expected. At the same time they were making the Union plant work mandated over time making out of spec bullets that ended up being sold cheap.

13. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I updated the OP with functional links to the images. Apparently I had moved/removed them since starting this thread awhile back.

#33 Warp, Feb 23, 2013
  14. Holy crap! I carry Ranger T's 180gr. in my Glock, and I'm shopping around for 165gr'ers. I've always been a fan of the Rangers. But thanks for the thread!

15. I have a batch of 180 grain Rangers from one of the local sheriff's offices around here. They look okay, but I believe they aren't the newest production.

I am sure Winchester will eventually get it right again.

16. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I just checked my nw Ranger ammo received:

I got 180 rds of 64gr Ranger Powerpoint RA223R2. The only issue I had was the package had been handled roughly and the ends of some of the styrophoam were pushed down. I was concerned the cartridges would be damaged, but they were stronger than the foam, all are within specs!

Also, they had a recall in 2011, on these rounds. Mine are not effected.

I have not shot any of them, yet, but they look like they'll shoot:

[​IMG]

In the same shipment, from the same distributor, I purchased fifty 180gr Ranger Bonded JHP RA40B.

They all appear fine, but I have not fired any:

[​IMG]

About four months ago, I purchased fifty 135gr Ranger JHP Q4368. They, too, look fine, however, I haven't shot any:

[​IMG]

17. I have several boxes of this ammo for my Glock 23. I'll double check but I'm pretty sure the ammo is all fine.

I wonder why some batches are so bad and others have had no issues.

18. Simple answer. People run the eqpmt. and some people take their jobs more seriously than others. When you screw the employees in one part of the country and move to another for cheaper labor then only a moron would believe that the co. is interested in good QC. It's all about the money. :wavey:

That said, on the Walther Forum some poor fella's PPQ .40 S&W literally grenaded with Win. WB. It's a miracle he didn't lose his hand from the photos!!! :shocked: I've had some squibs in their .357 SIG rds. as well and a primer blowout on a .357 Mag. PDX as well that locked up the gun.

Win. has some very serious issues that only a moron would not acknowledge at this time. Karma? :whistling: :supergrin:

19. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I am going to carefully inspect my next 9mm CCW ammo purchase.

20. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Also, RA556B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]