close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winchester Ranger RA556B: Supposed to look like this?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Warp, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So, is the lead at the tip of the Ranger load (RA556B) supposed to be like this? I've had a lot of bad experiences with terrible QC, and inconsistency, with Ranger pistol ammo, but my understanding was the centerfire rifle ammo from Winchester/Ranger line was still good to go. I don't like how this is inconsistent and some appear lumpy/over flowing. There is a Gold Dot (24455) for comparison. Every single Gold Dot bullet looks exactly the same, and just like the one pictured.

I would think that they are all supposed to look like the one on the far left (or at least that every bullet would look the same). Those others...not exactly confidence inspiring.

I can't help but feel like sticking with the Gold Dots. Speer has never done me wrong, and who doesn't like Gold Dots?

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Warp, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Yuck. JSPs are already known for building up lead on the feed ramp and causing problems. Those Rangers look like they would make the problem much, much, worse, and much more quickly.

3. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

From what I have seen the lead doesn't build up for at least 200-300 rounds. I cannot even afford that many rounds of this, let alone that many for firing in on setting/without cleaning.

I have also seen that, supposedly, the more 'premium' loads don't lead the feed ramps as bad as some of the others.

Nonetheless, when I test these at the range this weekend I'll be inspecting the feed ramps closely.

4. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

From soft-point bullets? This is the first time I have heard about this situation.

5. GlockPride

GlockPride
    Expand Collapse
    Glock 23

The two cases on the left don't even look the same height (shorter) as the ones on the right!

Good luck with that!

I Do HAVE Good Luck with the .40 ammo, though!

6. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

My next handgun is a G22 :supergrin:

7. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The two cases on the left are farther from the camera than the two cases on the right. Obvious optical illusion.

Look at the line on the box, and where the cartridge rims line up.

8. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

And just what caliber are these rounds? :upeyes:

9. GlockPride

GlockPride
    Expand Collapse
    Glock 23

double tap

#9 GlockPride, Nov 5, 2012
  10. GlockPride

GlockPride
    Expand Collapse
    Glock 23

Warp, brother,I respect you, but it looks like a bigger difference than just the angle. I could be wrong though.
    It IS hard to tell with just a single photo.

:tongueout:

11. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm anal enough I'll open the box back up and do a lineup later, and mic anything that is suspicous. :)

#11 Warp, Nov 5, 2012
  12. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

These are 5.56mm cartridges.

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

I also like the shape of the Gold Dot better. Just seems like a better feeding shape, if anything.

#13 cowboy1964, Nov 5, 2012
  14. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Same box. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#14 Warp, Nov 5, 2012
  15. GlockPride

GlockPride
    Expand Collapse
    Glock 23

I guess it would help if I actually paid enough attention to know that you were the original poster. Wow! Can't believe I let that slip.

Send 'em over and I'll shoot them at the yotes.

16. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The rounds (bullet tip) may not look at neat and pretty, but I a told by somebody in another forum that that is just how they look and is normal.

The terminal performance of this round is exactly what I am looking for. Some function and POI testing this weekend and they'll get loaded up for HD/SD/SHTF

Agree.

Gold Dots always look beautifully crafted. I really, really like Gold Dots in every caliber I have acquired them for. 5.56, 9x19, .38spl +P and .45 ACP so far.

I've also had Ranger in all of those calibers.

#16 Warp, Nov 5, 2012
  17. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer
    Expand Collapse

It's official: next time I'm shopping for ammo, I'm not buying anymore Winchester HPs of any model. I'll still buy wwb for range.

That last photo has them all lined up but some bullets look to be set in deeper than others. As well, some copper jackets are larger than others too.

I've only heard of problems, I haven't had any yet, except for some crud in my RA45TP primers, but this lack of quality is apparent.

#17 PettyOfficer, Nov 5, 2012
  18. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My understanding is that the pistol ammo is what has gone down the crapper lately, but the centerfire rifle ammo is still up to snuff (the pistol ammo is where they moved manufacturing location and changed labor, but not rifle)

I am told by a poster on M4C (hoping to get other replies eventually) that it is normal and that's how they look, and I've seen enough different tests of the terminal performance that if that is how they normally look, I'm sticking with them, as the results are always excellent.

#18 Warp, Nov 5, 2012
  19. hotpig

hotpig
    Expand Collapse
    IAFF Local 4766
    CLM

Center fire rifle is still made here with skilled labor. Pistol ammo mostly is made by unskilled but some is still made here.

The bullets themselves may or may not be made here. The machinist here at the old plant are very busy because the unskilled labor at the new plant seem to be excelling at breaking things.

Some of the guys here think that it will still be a few years before all of center fire moves south. I think that there is a learning curve for the new guys. It will not last forever. If enough of the Union employees follow their jobs even for half pay and much less benefits it will help get the new plant running up to full production faster.

20. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, I got some more feedback on the other board...it seems mine do look like ****. :sad:

Somebody even posted factory seconds of that bullet and they look 100x nicer than what I got.

#20 Warp, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012