close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Winchester primer material question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Jerry, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Jerry

Jerry Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    Louisiana
    A while back I had a problem with a batch of Winchester standard LR primers burning holes in the edge of the cup. The cups were silver. I thought at the time that I remembered Wichester LR primers in the past were brass colored. Seems I was correct. I had thrown all the silver ones away. Yesterday I happened accross some I had put away several years ago. They are brass and seem to be thicker than the silver ones that were blowing holes.

Does anyone know when Wichester changed from brass to silver? Why? I don't have any of the boxes the silver one's were in so I can't compair numbers.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I can't remember them ever being silver, but I've only used them on occasion.

3. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Me either. But then I have only used Winchester primers on pistol. Never on rifle. I always used CCI for rifle.

4. Wil Terry

Wil Terry

Nov 28, 2001
    THEY WERE NOT " SILVER", they were nickle plated brass. The current primers are identically the same without the nickle plating. The change was made nearly twenty[20] years ago .

5. Jerry

Jerry Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    Louisiana
    Wil is correct. And I'm getting senile. I looked up some pictures I took of the bad primers. They were brass. :embarassed: I soot 50 of the old lot that I found today and no problem with them. Over the last year and one half I've been using Federal Match Primer. They are silver so I guess I'm just becoming more confused than I used to be. I'll take lots of pictures and start writing myself reminders. :fred: :couch:

Thanks guys,

Jerry

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013