Winchester primer material question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Jerry, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Jerry

Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

A while back I had a problem with a batch of Winchester standard LR primers burning holes in the edge of the cup. The cups were silver. I thought at the time that I remembered Wichester LR primers in the past were brass colored. Seems I was correct. I had thrown all the silver ones away. Yesterday I happened accross some I had put away several years ago. They are brass and seem to be thicker than the silver ones that were blowing holes.

Does anyone know when Wichester changed from brass to silver? Why? I don't have any of the boxes the silver one's were in so I can't compair numbers.
    #1 Jerry, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Bad Winchester SP Primers Reloading May 21, 2015
    Winchester primers Reloading Dec 30, 2014
    Winchester Large Pistol Primers (WLP) Reloading Mar 15, 2014
    Winchester Large Pistol Primers! Reloading Jan 7, 2014
    Winchester WSP primers falling out... Reloading Dec 8, 2013

3. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I can't remember them ever being silver, but I've only used them on occasion.

4. Me either. But then I have only used Winchester primers on pistol. Never on rifle. I always used CCI for rifle.
  5. THEY WERE NOT " SILVER", they were nickle plated brass. The current primers are identically the same without the nickle plating. The change was made nearly twenty[20] years ago .
  6. Jerry

Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

Wil is correct. And I'm getting senile. I looked up some pictures I took of the bad primers. They were brass. :embarassed: I soot 50 of the old lot that I found today and no problem with them. Over the last year and one half I've been using Federal Match Primer. They are silver so I guess I'm just becoming more confused than I used to be. I'll take lots of pictures and start writing myself reminders. :fred: :couch:

Thanks guys,

#5 Jerry, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013