winchester Powders

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by tac_driver, Sep 26, 2010.

1. I did a search on this forum and went to Hodgdon's website, checked the burnrate chart, winchester website i can't find out anything on win act pist, WSL, WAP is in my loadbooks usa manuals. Did they change the name of these to something else?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Hodgdon and Winchester powders available Reloading May 8, 2014
    WINCHESTER AUTOCOMP or HODGDON LONGSHOT Powders Reloading Nov 26, 2013
    WTS Winchester Mod.70 - .338 Win. Mag. - GA Firearms Listings Aug 20, 2015
    Winchester Mod 12 1938 Tactical Shotguns Jul 25, 2015
    Winchester Model 1895 Replicas General Firearms Forum Jul 22, 2015

3. They changed the name to "discontinued."

Do you have a supply and need data or did old data just look good to you?

The closest thing to WSL seems to be Titegroup and Ramshot Silhouette is close to WAP if not identical.

4. Yes, According to Johan Loubser at Western Powders, Ramshot Silhouette is the exact same powder as WAP +/- a few new coatings to reduce flash. According to Johan, data is interchangeable, but it's best to use newer Silhouette data.

5. Thanks for the quick replies. I was just trying to find out what it was because it was in my loadbooks USA.

6. SOme of the older manuals have data for them, why I never throw them away. What caliber?

7. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Winchester brand powders are St Marks Powders and share the same nomenclature for the numbered Winchester powders, ie W231 is SMP #231. I'm compiling a chart of all the commercial and non-canister powder types for reference.

WAP is identical in character to Ramshot Silhouette and data will interchange. The Silhouette has additional flash reducers blended, but does not change the burn characteristics. I'm trying to track down the OEM non-canister nomenclature for this one.

Auto Comp is #224
    Titegroup is #242
    Lil' Gun is OBP516
    W760 is #760 also sold as H414
    W748 is #748
    WSF is WSX170
    HS6 is #540 also sold as W540
    HS7 is #571 also sold as W571 and reformulated to be Longshot which is now called OBP473
    WST is WAA90