close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Winchester PDX1 giving HST a run for its money

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by OGlockYes, Feb 14, 2009.

1. OGlockYes

OGlockYes

Jan 28, 2009
  2. patscrazy

patscrazy

Sep 25, 2005
    nantucket
    Saw a couple of boxes of the 180gr .40 at a gun shop in my area today as well. Box of 20 rounds for 19.95. Not bad. Looked like a SXT.

3. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    Well I didn't see it in 10mm stuffings, maybe they will produce the bullets for handloaders (NOT!) While the concept is good they will need to step up the production to catch up to Speer Gold Dots.

4. MURRAY

MURRAY Millennium Member

I bet its the little box of Bonded Ranger loads...........but thats just a guess

5. OGlockYes

OGlockYes

Jan 28, 2009
    its a small box of 20. ive seen the hst expanded and its impressive but the winchester pdx1 edges were scary sharp. i had to handle it with care while examining it.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I thought it looked like an SXT also,..

IGF

7. carbofan21

carbofan21

Jul 16, 2006
    so you're saying it's the same exact thing as the SXT?

hmmmm

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I don't know who you're referring to, but no, I'm not saying that. I just thought it looked like an SXT.

IGF

9. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

More accurate comparison would be DPX will be competing with the GD.

Winchester is offering a 5% rebate with a 10000.00 order. I can not decide if I want to tie up inventory money and room for this product yet.

10. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Feb 9, 2009
    Outer Space
    Oh come on! Just tout it as the "HST Killer" on your website and watch all 10,000 dollars worth be gone in a day.

11. kensteele

kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    ^ha, in less than a day. i'll buy some of it.

edit: at the right price of course. ;)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  12. degoodman

degoodman Out of Columbus

Jun 7, 2004
    Marysville, OH
    You just making this stuff up as you go?

Bonded ammo is more expensive to manufacture, not less.

Bonded vs "traditional JHP's" borders on a straw man argument. All modern ammunition is designed to perform within a very specific and relatively narrow performance window, defined by the FBI/DOJ ballistics testing protocols.

Another small point is that in real shoots, nothing expands as well as it does through bare gelatin. Bonded, unbonded, otherwise. the pretty pictures of perfectly expanded HP's aren't usually what the surgeons dig out of someones' chest. People wear clothes, they have bones in front of all those structures we're trying to hit in a defensive shoot. Maybe we're not trying to shoot into a car, but out of one. etc.

So bonded vs unbonded is a choice, its not an absolute. Yes, if you're in LE, where the odds of engaging a subject inside a car, or making a shot through intermediate cover to engage a shielded BG are much higher than for those not in that profession, a bonded bullet makes sense under those circumstances. For a civilian, I think its still a choice. Bonded bullets don't expand as aggressively, which means they stand a better chance of surviving an encounter with bone intact, for example. If you're comparing unobstructed frontal shots, then yea, maybe unbonded has an advantage, but that's getting into awfully narrow circumstances, probably just as narrow as focusing solely on a car shoot when picking ammo.

Oh, and about HST, its value line ammo for cops. ATK considers Federal Tactical Bonded and Speer Gold Dot the current top of the line ammo for LE use. Yea, it expands wickidly in gel. Gel is putting a bullet's best forward. Lets see how it does after 4 or 5 years of LE shoot data comes in. That's probably how long its going to take to get a meaningful number of shoots together to draw serious conclusions from.

and by the way, the gold dot is a bonded bullet, and all three are less than 20 year old designs, The Gold Dot and the Uni-cor process being patented in 1990, the Winchester ranger family in 1995, and Federal patenting what looks like the underlying technology of the HST in 2002.

With the current crop of defnesive ammo on the market, Which I'd consider to be the current ranger series, Gold Dot, HST, Tactical bonded, Bonded Golden Sabre, Hornady TAP or FTX, and the Barnes XPB, which corbon loads as the DPX, arguing the superiority of one or the other over its peers is like discussing rank amongst buck privates. Those are fully capable of doing the job on a BG if you do yours. How pretty or how wide the bullet is when it gets yanked out of a block of jello does not tell the story, and more is not automatically better. HST supplies are tight, and look to get tighter if you buy the rumors. Ranger has always been relatively scarce, obtainable, but not easily, or usually locally. GD's are a little more loose, both in the 50 round boxes we like, and in the 20 rounders that are out there all day long. If you can't buy brand F, then Brands S, W, H, R or C will do you just as well in all likelyhood.

13. DRT

DRT

May 6, 2001
    USA
    DocGKR indicated that the HST is performing as good as Ranger T in the real world police engagements. Between his positive feedback and it's outstanding performance in ballistics testing across the spectrum, HST appears to be a good choice.

Im also liking the barnes xpb bullets more and more.

If GD is ATK's premium line, then why isnt it restricted like HST? If it's premium then it must be better? Hmmm.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  14. carbofan21

carbofan21

Jul 16, 2006
    :goodpost:

15. OGlockYes

OGlockYes

Jan 28, 2009
    does anyone know anything about the winchester pdx1 round?

16. OGlockYes

OGlockYes

Jan 28, 2009