close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Winchester PDX1 Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by thegriz18, Jan 6, 2009.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    I just saw this new Winchester ammo in the latest Guns and Ammo magazine. (the February edition I think, it has an XDm9 on the cover) Looking at the pictures provided, and reading the description on Winchester's site, it looks/sounds a lot like a Winchester version of Gold Dot. It is bonded ammo, welding the jacket and core together somehow. It is stated that the FBI has adopted this as a duty load. Anyone have anymore info?

2. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Looks like the Ranger Bonded.

I wonder if they will start selling the bullet to reload. :cool:

3. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

Jan 8, 2001
    ATL., GA. USA
    First they tweak their talons, and now they come out with a bonded bullet...

??? What's a man to choose... ???

It may be out-dated now :)crying:), but that original 127gr. +P+ LEO Ranger T will likely be to the 9mm, what the 158gr. LHP was to the .38 Special.

4. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    I thought that, but the gold dot in the center of the expanded round makes me think it is something new. It is said to be FBI issue ammo, but it is not marketed under the Ranger line. It is marketed under the Supreme Elite line. I hope this turns out to be good stuff. My gun loves Winchester ammo.

5. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005
  6. Disregarded9-side

Disregarded9-side Armchair IPSCer

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    I bought some of these today, as I needed some carry ammo and it was some of the only stuff available--I was talked into it by someone I trust.
    Basically it's bonded like Gold-Dot, so it maintains more energy as it expands. The cases look exactly like SXTs; the bullet obviously looks much different, and is shaped much more like a target/ball 9mm than the SXT.

If there's any more info on the stuff I'd like to know, I don't really have enough to test too much myself. Glad to know the FBI approves...though I guess they're carrying .40s.

7. hotpig

9mm also

8. CATATOMIC

CATATOMIC

Apr 5, 2003
    I bought a couple boxes of them in 9mm 124 +p the other day. I haven't shot any of them yet though.

9. Disregarded9-side

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    Scwerd? Yeah I'm no expert...is it not just user preference? That would seem to make sense.
    But we are talking about the Federal Government.

10. Natty

Natty

Jan 28, 2006
    Maryland/Virginia
    There is news of a recall on this ammo that was sent to the FBI.

In some independent tests it failed to expand sometimes when shot thru 4 layers of denim which is one of the FBI tests. Check out the bottom row of bullets on these pics here...http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26461

11. Disregarded9-side

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    ^Interesting to know...thanks for the info. Does other bonded (Speer) ammo do this type of thing too? I've seen pictures all several hollow points that failed to expand.

What's the best way for the layman (me) to conduct an expansion test with this stuff? Shoot a gallon of water? I know nothing really can give you a true understanding of how the round will work in real life.

12. Natty

Natty

Jan 28, 2006
    Maryland/Virginia
    I haven't seen any tests where Speer Gold Dot failed to expand like this.

Shooting gallons of water is a way to compare expansion of different rounds. You should use 4 jugs lined up to catch the bullet.

Wetpack is considered more realistic. Soak a stack of newspaper at least 12" thick for 2 days. Drain the water and shoot. You can lookup 'wetpack tests' to get more detailed info.

Ballistic gel is what the LE and ammo companies like best. You can buy it or make your own but it is much more expensive than water jugs or wetpack.

13. Disregarded9-side

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    ^I'll shoot some wet phonebooks and get back to this thread within two weeks (with pictures!)
    Thanks for the tips and the heads up.

14. DRT

DRT

May 6, 2001
    USA
    When DOCGKR tested the Winchester .40 180gr bonded Q4355 (FBI load), 50% failed to expand after passing through heavy denim.

15. Glock+2

Glock+2

Mar 16, 2009
    anyone have any ballistics on the new Winchester PDX1 in the 9mm 147 gr?

16. Disregarded9-side

Oct 18, 2008
    North Carolina
    That's what Natty, myself and others have been talking about...doesn't seem to be too much out there as of now. I'd love to see any links.
    I've agreed to shoot five into wet phone books. Which will prove nothing; but will still be awesome.

17. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

This is total supposition on my part, but I think that the LE Ranger Bonded line of ammo isn't a big seller for Winchester, so instead of scrapping all the R&D and the money it took designing the bonded bullets, they're releasing the bonded ammo as a personal/civilian SD line.

BTW, the meplat of the 9mm 124+P looks just like that of the SXT bullet style with the six jacket "humps", but with a more shallow HP cavity.

18. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

Jul 9, 2005
    Just to confirm what has been posted, the LE boxes are marked "Ranger" and are bonded. The .40 S&W is 180 grain and the 9mm is 147 grain.

19. hotpig

Before Winchester stopped allowing sales to dealers the Bonded market was growing fast.

Right now if I could get Ranger ammo for my store but had to only choose either the T or Bonded I would take the bonded. The T sales well but the bonded is the growing market.

20. marshallblaine02

marshallblaine02

Mar 13, 2009
    Shot some at water jugs this weekend, blew up the first one, stuck in the book behind it, sorry about the pic will get better ones.

Attached Files:

• pdx.jpg
      pdx.jpg
      File size:
      4.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009