close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Winchester PDX1 124gr 9mm+P

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by pant3ra, Aug 24, 2010.

1. pant3ra

pant3ra

Jul 20, 2010
    Texas
    Thoughts on this cartridge? Has anyone has any experience with this and/or the luck to test this into ballistics gel/waterjugs with clothe infront of it, etc...

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks :embarassed:

2. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Passes the FBI test. There is some anecdotal back yard testing on youtube. I would carry it for duty if I could not find any in the 147gr.

3. tx787

tx787

Feb 11, 2010
    124gr +p is my favorite 9mm load generally speaking. I haven't bought any of this yet since I can get HST and GD for a lot less but I am really glad to see Winchester offering a civilian personal protection product that's the same as their duty ammo after restricting the Ranger line after being bashed in the head by crazy antis in NY.

4. It's a mystery to me why anyone would buy PDX when Ranger is readily available for half the price.

5. hotpig

There are a few reason why one might not. Convenience since PDX1 can be more easily found local. The Ranger Bonded 9mm still has not changed over to the PDX1 bullet yet.

6. I didn't realize PDX has a different bullet from Ranger. How is it different? Is it found in any other Winchester cartridges?

7. hotpig

Ranger is a whole product line using many different bullets.

The PDX1 is a Bonded jhp also used in the Ranger Bonded 40, 45GAP, 357SIG, and 45. Right now the Ranger Bonded 9mm are still using a bullet that looks more like a regular jhp than a PDX1.

Eventually production will catch up and the Ranger Bonded 9mm will change over also.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  8. So, you're saying that Winny is putting a more advanced bullet in the PDX than the Ranger. That surprises me as I always thought they positioned Ranger as their best of the best geared for LE.

Still, I doubt that I'll be paying the premium as I'm quite happy with the performance of my Rangers.

9. hotpig

Depends upon what Ranger you are refering to.

10. pant3ra

pant3ra

Jul 20, 2010
    Texas
    Just finished reading the topic, thanks for the feedback guys. hopefully I'll find the time to drive out to some land and put some of these pdx1s to the test myself with some of those wetted down newspapers in milk jugs :D

11. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    I've got these in my 17 right now. Other than TNoutdoors9 on youtube, has anyone done any chrono or terminal testing on it?

12. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    If I want bonded I'll go with Gold Dots.

Until the PDX1 is available in 50 round boxes I'm not even going to consider it.

13. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    That is a valid point. The 20 round boxes are a bit pricey. The only thing I like about the PDX1 over the Gold Dots is the case is better quality, based on the Gold Dot's I've seen, and muzzle flash is significantly less. That being said I'd pick up a box of GD's in a second. Forgot to add that I like being able to pick up a box at Walmart or Dick's when I'm out. Convenience is a factor. I'd pay $36 to 40 a box of 50 in PDX1 if they offered it, even though Ranger's are $26 online. Just saves the hassle of shipping and paying the $12 shipping charge.

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Convenience is a plus for the PDX1, for sure. I'd just like to see more in-depth testing and there just isn't much out there.

I have no issues with quality of Gold Dots. Nor muzzle flash. I've never had trouble with muzzle flash with ANYTHING in 9mm. Gold Dots are still one of my top picks, though I am leaning toward Ranger 127 +P+ lately and HST 124+P (but I haven't shot any of those yet).

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  15. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Jun 17, 2007
    Friend Zone
    Have you ever shot the 115 +P+ Gold Dot? That load has caught my eye as being a ballistic equivalent to the 9BPLE load, with a tougher bullet. FWIW, the PDX1 bullets pass the magical FBI standards. And I think they sprinkle pixie dust on the boxes...:tongueout:

16. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    The Speer 115 gr. +p+ seems to have real world results that mimic the 124 gr. +p GD in shootings. Nonetheless, I like the 115 +p+ very much. I still have a few boxes.

17. novaDAK

novaDAK

Apr 17, 2006
    isn't that a good thing?

18. Natty

Natty

Jan 28, 2006
    Maryland/Virginia
    Other rounds like Golden Saber, HST or Ranger T expand better.

PDX1 might be better at shooting through auto-glass windshields.

And for shooting through auto windshields, Gold Dot might be better than PDX1.

19. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Kind of my feelings too about PDX1. That and the cost because of the 20 rounds boxes = no go.