close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Winchester 9mm JHP

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by meathead19, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    If it wasn't for guns shows and the internet, I wouldn't have any CCW ammo.

2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Considering some random observations I made during a recent trip through the Pacific Northwest, ammunition availability seems weirdly spotty.

In one "general store" there was all sorts of handgun ammunition on the shelves, across a wide range of calibers, and the prices seemed pretty reasonable (compared to usual CA prices). Federal, Winchester, Remington & Speer for the major brands, and a couple of foreign brands, as well.

Just a few miles away, at the other end of the small town, the local WM store had mostly bare shelves. Even the rifle & shotgun ammo was mostly depleted (unlike the other store, which was plentiful). :dunno:

Didn't stop in any dedicated "gun stores", so I didn't see the situation in any of those.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

3. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    That ammo-rich store will soon be besieged by ammo-seekers.

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Dunno. I've seen the shelves in that store hold more over the years. The handgun ammo was still plentiful, though, and the rifle & shotgun ammo was really plentiful and varied. Kinda surprised it hadn't been scoured by the "panicked internet gun forum buyers". :whistling:

There were a handful of young and older men standing around in the isle, and there seemed to be the usual amount of business occurring everywhere else, but nobody was pulling boxes of ammo off the shelves.

Of course, the folks who patronize that sort of large general store are probably the sort of folks who aren't exactly caught totally unprepared by sudden shortages of important things. :whistling:

5. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    The guys were probably asking themselves how much ammo that they have at home . . . . .

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Good one. :supergrin:

Actually, they were all talking about other stuff. When a couple of them realized I was trying to see something on the shelves behind where they were talking, they politely excused themselves and moved over toward the fishing/camping stuff.

I suppose my point is that the WM shoppers had cleaned out the shelves of ammo, but the older, established general/hardware/sporting goods store not that far away hadn't experienced the same surge of panicked shoppers. What is it with people going to WM to buy ammo?

Granted, I'm not a WM shopper. I only go to a WM while traveling, grudgingly, and even then only if I can't find what I'm looking for at some other store, or I need to pull off the freeway for something not carried at a Safeway or drugstore, and a WM store is right there.

I've browsed the ammo selection in the sporting goods section in a handful of WM's over the last several years (while traveling) and I haven't been particularly enthused by either their selection or their pricing. I've seen bigger and wider selections of ammo at assorted Big 5 stores.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  7. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I remember the Big 5 stores from my CA days (1974-90).

8. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Yeah, they still have them up & down the West Coast.

I miss when Gemco, Penneys, Sears & Wards all sold ammo, though. I've seen some Kmart's stock it, and some not.

9. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    The Kmarts here in NH have ammo.

10. BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow Millennium Member

Aug 11, 1999
    Lost In Space
    If it's good/bad depends on how you define those terms. The 115g JHP Silvertip and Ranger bullet perform the same at the same velocities. They do now what they did over 20 yrs ago.

Through FBI spec heavy cloth:

115 Silvertip 11.8/.58
    115 +P+ Ranger 10.15/.65
    115 +P+ Rem 10.9/.62
    115 +P+ Fed 10.6/.62

To the FBI, the above makes the slower Silvertip better than the faster +P+ loads, to others, not so much.

An old guy here was shopping at WalMart when he heard a woman screaming. She was being stabbed by her ex. He shot the ex twice w 115 Silvertip from an SA XD subcompact pistol. The ex was stopped immedieately and died. It worked fine then, no matter how you define good/bad terminal ballistics.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  11. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Sep 20, 2004
    FEMA REGION III
    I haven't seen you in forever. Welcome back.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Yeah, good to see able to stop by again. Hope your absence has been because of preoccupation of a good nature. ;)

As far as the comments on the 115gr JHP's?

Hey, nothing succeeds like success, huh?

13. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I agree that Wal-Mart's ammo selection is limited but for range ammo our local stores carry Federal, Winchester, Remington, Privi Partisan, and Tulammo in 9mm. For JHP self-defense rounds I always find it online and I'm glad I logged in an adequate supply over the past few years.

As for price, I bought two Federal 115-grain FMJ 100-round ValuPacks at $20+/each two weeks ago and the steel case Tulammo was at $10/box of 50. I don't shoot steel case ammo except in my commie firearms so it was an easy decision for me. At 20 cents a round for brass case 9mm range ammo I congratulate Wal-Mart for keeping prices low during this current guns/ammo surge.

14. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I wonder if WMs anywhere sell reloading components? Bullets, primers, powder.