close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Winchester 9mm JHP

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by meathead19, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Finally rec'd my order.

Anyone have experience with these?

I don't and haven't fired any yet.

2. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Louisiana
    Not those, specifically, but I've not had problems with other variants of Winchester's 9mm ammo. Seems pretty good stuff.

I like their NATO 125gr RN for target work.

3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
  4. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    The Winchester white box 115 gr JHPs use the same bullet as the 9mm 115 gr. Silvertip does (obviously it isn't plated) which used to be law enforcement ammo years ago.

I'd carry it without a worry.

5. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

I believe it uses the same bullet as the Ranger RA9MMJHP & RA9115HP, the latter being a +p+ load.

6. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I have Winchester 115gr JHP +p+ in my G17 on me right now.

7. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    Generic old-style JHP they've made for many years.

I'd not be surprised to find that it might produce velocities toward the lower end of the typical velocity range for a standard pressure 115gr load (being their bargain priced load).

Think of it, if you will, as "Retro-Style" 9mm defensive ammo.

I think I still have some left over from training/practice from previous years, as well as some of the 147gr JHP from their Duty/USA line, both of which I keep set aside for range ammo (when the +P range ammo runs low, or I don't want to run a lot of +P or +P+ loads through a particular gun).

I'd rather use it than FMJ.

However, I'd also rather use any of the more modern hollowpoint loads, made by any of the major American ammo makers, given a choice.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  8. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

I also use the same bullet with target hand loads that I tuned specifically for various guns.

I carried as duty ammo the RA9115HP+ and the 9BPLE back in the hay day of light and fast loads. Right now I actually have the XM9001 loaded in my CW9. Velocity wise it is very near the two +P+ loads but does not have as much pressure.

I will change that out to the new version of the RA9B once it comes out.

9. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    Regarding old style - there's nothing wrong with old styles if they work. The 230gr FMJRN .45 ACP is over a hundred years old and it works just fine today. So I can rely on a 30-year-old bullet design for 9mm.

10. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    Kinda like the Federal LE9. For use in older guns.

11. kaech

kaech

Jan 26, 2012
    CG wisconsin
    YOU DONT SAY:rolleyes:

12. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

Out of curiousity, why? I fiigured you'd be on board with the new 124 gr. +p T Series, which by the way is IMO the same damn thing as their 127 gr. +p+. They chrono the same.

13. fastbolt

fastbolt

Jun 9, 2002
    CA Central Coast
    There's the rub. ;)

If you're hoping for the optimal chance for consistent and robust expansion under difficult conditions, using standard pressure 9mm JHP's, the old style 115gr loads might not be the best choice.

Each of the major American ammo makers offer hollowpoint 9mm bullets of improved design, which offer better potential optimal "performance" under a wider variety of conditions, than the older style hollowpoints.

Of course, the smaller nose cavity openings of the older style 115gr bullets offered by Win, Rem & Fed could offer better potential feeding in older pistols in which the longer, and/or wider nose cavity, bullets might not feed as consistently well.

No guarantees with any of it, though. ;)

I've carried old-style JHPs in my 9's, .40's & .45's and not lost sleep over doing so. I just prefer the better designed versions when given a choice.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  14. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2s82NCLKQI"]Like Speer's standard pressure 115-grain Gold Dot, for one.[/ame]

15. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I DO say so. My G17 is loaded with WW 115gr JHP +p+ loads. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  16. SCmasterblaster

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    My old style 115gr JHPs are driven to +p+ velocities in my G17 4.5-inch barrel. THAT ought to open them up.

17. clinttho

clinttho

May 2, 2012
    . I carried silver tips at the advice of a popular gun writer/expert when I first got my Glock 27 and 23. they're the same design as wwb hp. After a lot of research I switched to gold dots and feel much more confident and safe knowing the rounds will perform as intended more reliably than old tech sd ammo. I still have several boxes of the silvertip ammo in case I run out of range ammo or use my gold dots up and cannot get anything else.

My advice is use them til you can find 124g gold dots, ranger or HST ammo then switch. These are more proven designs that are more likely to be effective against an attacker if you ever need to use your weapon. The new high tech hp rounds are the best you can buy and not that much more costly. Just an opinion. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying those knowing better rounds are out there on the shelves (even in this panic buying market I've seen 9mm gold dot, ranger, golden saber ammo in 124/147g weights online and in stores at decent prices.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. Good points.....Thanks.