Winchester 180 GR. Bonded JHP

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by 3rdgen40, Sep 28, 2009.

1. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Just found this at a local shop.It comes in a plain white box with black lettering.Is this a new load ? Is it the same as Ranger load ? Winchester doesn't list it on their site.Just wondering if its good enough for personal defense ?If so, its my new carry load since its only 24.99 per 50.Any info appreciated....

***UPDATE***
    I picked up another 4 boxes today that my dealer held back for me.I have 300 rounds now...:dancingbanana:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 3rdgen40, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

It might be the same load the FBI adopted. My ranger ammo is in the yellow boxes.

3. MURRAY

Millennium Member

looks like it may be an over run or they got ahold of surplus I have seen the loads in the plain black and white box before also

4. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

So, is this a Ranger load in a generic box or something different ?

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

That is "re-boxed" Winchester Supreme Elite ammo.
    Looks like the box shown is the "not fancy, generic box" for LE

Winchester 180gr Supreme Elite, bonded JHP
    Chosen by the FBI as their primary service round, the new Winchester? Supreme Elite Bond PDX1
    handgun ammunition is now available in 9mm, 40 Smith & Wesson, 45 automatic and .38 Special.
    Superior to competitive personal protection loads, the Winchester Supreme Elite Bond PDX1 utilizes a
    proprietary bonding process that welds the lead core and the copper jacket as one unit to control
    expansion and enhances retained weight. The bonding process allows the bullet to penetrate tough
    barriers and enhance impact velocities and ranges. Six-segment jacket notching facilitates controlled,
    incremental and desirable expansion at a variety of impact velocities. The copper alloy jacket is
    engineered for optimal terminal effect over a wide range of velocities and ranges. Positive gun
    function and smooth chambering and shell-case ejection are improved by the use of nickel-plated shell casings.

6. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Thats what I was looking for.Thanks for the info.I need to go buy some more of it...:wavey:

7. MURRAY

Millennium Member

Yeah that is the Ranger B I thought that was the same load as the PDX just sold in birth control boxes..........I agree the general no flash box my dads PD used to get the ammo about 50-50 some times nice box sometimes not

8. faawrenchbndr

CLM

:rofl: Outstanding!

I normally carry 165gr Gold Dots in my .40 I went half on 1k of them a while back.
    The guy then decided .40 S&W was "too harsh" for him to shoot and he went back
    to 9mm and .45 So, I got a sweet deal on buying his half! :rofl:

#8 faawrenchbndr, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  9. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

:rofl:.............(Ahem).....:whistling:

10. faawrenchbndr

CLM

Oops,.... sorry 3rdGen40,.....:embarassed:

Guess that added little to nothing for the thread.
    Anyrate, the Bonded ammo is to be VERY good stuff.
    I have one box of it, but in .45 for my HK USPf 45

I have not shot any of it yet, I also have Gold Dots for that as well. :dunno:

11. MURRAY

Millennium Member

I would use it and it will be a good load for carry for sure

12. Sounds like a great deal on some SD ammo you got there.

13. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

Interesting that the box has no product number on it which leads me to believe that this was probably a LE over-run that went directly into the retail market.

14. bubbatime

bubbatime Jive Turkey!!

Yeah I would agree that you bought the new PDX1 rounds. Not much info out there yet on these but all reviews I have seen have been favorable plus the FBI adopted them which is good. I say you got a good buy and I would go back and get more.

15. MURRAY

Millennium Member

The FBI didnt adopt the PDX1 round they adopted the Ranger B load this is the same WIN doesnt want to market it as Ranger since its LEO so slap it in BC box and give it a new name

16. bubbatime

bubbatime Jive Turkey!!

The FBI did not adopt the Ranger B load. The Ranger B load sucks and winchester went back to the table and came out with these new PDX1 or bonded supreme rounds.

These rounds that the OP posted about are DEFINATELY NOT the Ranger Bonded round.

Edit: I just checked winchester's website and they say that the PDX1 round is the new FBI load.
    http://www.winchester.com/products/newitems/whatsnewcontent.aspx?productid=70

#16 bubbatime, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  17. cadillacguns

Millennium Member

:wow:THIRDGENFOURTY, where did you find it in the 50 count box, around here its found at Wal-Mart in a black box 20 rds, $20........:crying:
    Buy a couple more boxes and then please let the rest of us know !:whistling:

18. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Local gun shop.He had about 10 more boxes on the shelf.Hope its still there on payday...:supergrin: BTW, our local Walmart doesn't even carry it.Wish I could find some in 9mm too.

19. cadillacguns

Millennium Member

Consider yourself very lucky my friend and squirrel away a few more boxes.

20. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Went back to the shop the other day.They had 1 box left.So, I grabbed that and the shop owner told me he has 1 more case on the way.I told him to save 4 boxes for me.That will give me 300 rounds total.He also confirmed it was a LE over run and it is the Win. Supreme Elite Bonded...:cool: