close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Win SBS2003 setup questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by havensal, Jul 25, 2007.

1. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    I am supposed to set up our new server when it arrives. I think I may be getting in over my head here.

After reading a bunch I need to know some basic info about our existing server.

Existing DNS name
    Existing NETBIOS name
    Existing computer name
    Existing IP address, Gateway, and Subnet

The last one is easy. 192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.10

The names are what are getting me. Our domain is either ABCXYZ or ABCXYZ.abc-inc.com, I am confused about the .abc-inc.com part. From what I can tell is the server's computer name is ABC4.ABCXYZ.abc-inc.com

This is going to be replacing our existing server. This is not a web server of any kind, just a local data/DNS server. From what I have read I need to make sure all of this information is different between the old and new server. Thanks. :)

2. havensal

havensal Nozzle Jockey CLM

Aug 14, 2003
    Western, NY
    OK, I think I figured it out.

Computer name = ABC4
    DNS name = ABCXYZ.abc-inc.com
    NetBOIS name = ABCXYZ

3. Mug

Mug

Jul 8, 2007
    computer name = abc4
    doamin name = abc-inc.com
    computer's DNS name = abc4.abc-inc.com also known as the FQDN (fully qualified domain name) of the computer
    Netbois name = abcxyz - this is what you see in the drop down box at login - think of it as your DNS name shortname