close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Win 98 --> Win 2000 Transition Questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by AAshooter, Dec 8, 2004.

1. AAshooter

AAshooter

Nov 1, 2000
    Kalifornia
    I have been running Win98/ME and getting around to moving to Win2000. I want to build a system from ground up and not "upgrade".

My old system is FAT32 and I have a backup hard drive on which a copy of all my data resides. In Win2000, I assume I am better off going with NTFS. So I need to move my data over to the new machine. What is the best way to do that?

Can I simply move my backup harddrive with FAT32 over to the WIN2000 system and install it as a second drive? The goal would be to copy the data to the new system and then reformat the backup drive with the NTSF structure.

Suggestions and ideas welcome.

2. Goober35

Goober35 1911 member.

Nov 29, 2004
    Texas
    BINGO you got it. Something you could also do is just network the computers together buy a router and transfer that way.

3. AAshooter

AAshooter

Nov 1, 2000
    Kalifornia
    So there won't be a problem with one drive running FAT32 and the other NTFS?

4. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

Sep 19, 2003
    East Central Indiana
    I run Win2K in FAT32 and have no problems.

5. AAshooter

AAshooter

Nov 1, 2000
    Kalifornia
    That brings up a good point. I have pretty much read that you want to go with NTFS unless you have a specific legacy issue holding you back. What does going with NTFS for Win2K really buy you? In my specific case this computer will be a standalone machine.