close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Win 7 IE8 update Nov 23 or 24

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by solomansousana, Nov 24, 2010.

1. solomansousana

solomansousana
    Expand Collapse

Last night on my dell desktop I went to windows update via the startup menu and noted they had an update available for definition for ie8, a small file which I downloaded without issue in both my desktop and my dell studio laptop. Today, I found that when attempting to use tabs, the whole thing just froze up on both the desktop and laptop.

In the end, I had to uninstall the update, restart, then use system restore to go back which seems to have fixed the issue.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? I'd say maybe it was a download issue but as I had the same experience on both platforms it seems to me it might be a MS issue.:faint:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. RDW

RDW
    Expand Collapse
    BTDT

Same problem here, and it slowed my browser down to a "crawl." :steamed:

3. solomansousana

solomansousana
    Expand Collapse

At first I thought maybe it might have been my system, or something I did, but when it did exactly the same thing on my laptop, I knew MS had screwed the pooch. And to say it's easy getting it out? HAH. You still have issues when you use the uninstall feature. I had to actually fall back to an earlier date to fix the problem. Now I'm extremely hinky about downloading MS updates if they can't even get something like a 26kb file right.

4. rjgraves

rjgraves
    Expand Collapse

Thats why I use Firefox. IE crashes way too much. Firefox does too, but not as bad, at least in my experience. I like Chrome too.

5. solomansousana

solomansousana
    Expand Collapse

I have firefox and opera on a secure flash drive thats U3 enabled, but when I'm on my desktop I generally use what's convenient.

I'm just waiting to see if MS owns up to their screw up and fixes it.

6. solomansousana

solomansousana
    Expand Collapse

I found out yesterday it was NOT the MS update KB 2447568 that caused the issue with slow browsers and tabs, but it was Symantecs NIS IPF updates, which were fixed in the next update later that day.