close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Will you go to hell for Cremation

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Bilbo Bagins, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    The more I think about what I want to have done when I die, the more I think I want to get cremated.

As a Catholic/christian is it OK?

2. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

Jan 10, 2011
    dallas, tx
    no, but I will for other things I did...... some one said you go to heven for the view and you go to hell for the company

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

3. Cremation is not going to make any difference to God.

Like the Bible says, dust and ashes.

Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Til youn return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return.

Genesis 18:27 Then Abraham answered and said, "indeed now, I who am but dust and ashes have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord:

4. Always go to the definitive source:
    From the Catechism:

The Church permits cremation, provided that it does not demonstrate a denial of faith in the resurrection of the body.​

The Church had forbade cremation in times past since it was a pagan practice which was intended as a public demonstration of the denial of the resurrection.

For a good explaination from 1917 (before this prohibition was lifted), see the Catholic Encyclopedia.

5. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Mar 24, 1999
    Is everyone whose body was either lost or buried at sea automatically dmd because their remains were not buried on land?

I think not.

A human being consists of a physical body and something else we know exists but cannot really define, which is generally called a "soul".

Despite attestations to the contrary, we still do not know where the soul comes from before we are born or where it goes after we die.

But in either case, if God exists, he will judge your Soul.

NOT what became of your body after you leave it. :cool:

Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust. All flesh is grass. :supergrin:

\\

6. Paul7

Paul7 New Guy

Dec 16, 2004
    East of Eden
    That makes a lot of sense. These days, a lot of people can't afford a $10,000 funeral. I would think the remains of a buried Christian of 1,500 years ago would be about the same of a recent cremated Christian today.

7. Sarge1400

Sarge1400

Jan 15, 2003
    Nebraska
    Burial in general, and embalming in particular, make absolutely no sense to me. Every time I drive past a cemetery I wonder "what the heck are we saving them for?".
    When I'm dead, cremate me, and I don't care what happens to the ashes. It's not like I'm going to know anyway.

8. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

Jan 10, 2011
    dallas, tx
    I had an uncle that worked in for a whiskey distillery and he fell in the still and drowned. In his will he had stated he wanted to be cremated, it took them 4 days to put out the fire <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

9. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Without any reservation... No. All manner of after-life customs have at one time or another prevailed since earliest times. Scripture does not describe a practice that is to be normative. The customs of O.T. era believers or N.T. era Christians were not uniform and are not normative for our era.

10. herose

herose

Jun 13, 2006
    Kentucky
    Told my wife that when I die rent a helicopter and toss me out in the middle of the Smoky Mountains. It'll be cheaper and well bears and coyotes gotta eat too.

11. achysklic

achysklic

Jan 26, 2009
    Why not just donate your body to Medical science? It's a free way to go.......

12. heyTJ

heyTJ Giddy up!

Dec 14, 2001
    475' above sea level
    To funny, I think this would be a great place to put in a golf course.

13. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Jun 26, 2001
    SE AZ
    A friend of mine, her son, and I spread some of her father's ashes into a sand trap at her father's favorite golf course. It was the sand trap her father and his friends often hit into. He wanted to be near his friends and knew this would be the place they would step into the most often.

My father's ashes was spread into the pacific ocean off Black Sand Beach on the Big Island. It was one of his favorite places. Planted a coconut near the place we spread his ashes. It was growing quite well the last time I was there.

14. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    It can be very difficult to cremate someone you love.

15. Sarge1400

Sarge1400

Jan 15, 2003
    Nebraska
    Why would it be any more difficult than putting them in a box in the ground?

16. Woofie

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    It's an emotional thing. If cremation isn't the norm in your family, making that decision is a tough one.

17. heyTJ

heyTJ Giddy up!

Dec 14, 2001
    475' above sea level

This is the reason the decision needs to be made prior to your death.

18. Woofie

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    Too many people aren't comfortable planning for their own death. It's an awful disservice to place on those you leave behind, but it happens.