close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Will WST meter well in a 550B?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by XDRoX, Apr 13, 2010.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    I need some powder and before I buy 8lb's of it I would like to know if it will meter well in a 550B that I plan on getting soon. Probably will buy a keg of WST as it seems to work well in my lower end plinking rounds.

And while we're on the topic, has anyone tried 4.8gr WST under 124gr plated RN (9mm)? I have tried 5.0gr and it worked fine, but I didn't chrono it.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. rljan

rljan

Jun 14, 2001
    WST meters well in my 550b. I have been loading 4.0g under 180 grain .40 S&W. I haven't loaded 9mm yet. My next attempt will be .45ACP.

3. rjrivero

rjrivero

Apr 23, 2009
  4. mteagle1

mteagle1

Oct 17, 2008
    Great Falls, MT
    Always try your loads before buying large quantities of powder, ask me how I know. Any of the ball powders meter well through a Dillon powder measure and most of the flake powders with extra effort. I put a fishtank air pump on the side of the reservoir to help Clays meter the way I wanted.

5. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    You'll be fine w/ WST in the 550B. I can even get Unqiue to meter pretty well. Just stick & super flake powder like 800X should be avoided.

6. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Hey Fred, I just bought the 550B:pepper::dancingbanana::banana::broccoli:

I ordered the press, Dillon dies, and the aluminum handle.

Can't wait.

Oh, and an extra primer tube.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  7. kshutt

kshutt

Aug 24, 2001
    Oklahoma
    You did great, and WST+Dillon 550B=good ammo. Oh, and hide your post from Jack about the 550B purchase so that we have a smooth transition here! :cool:

8. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO

As an ex-officer of the law and prior defender of this great nation I am encouraged when I see the young'uns making mistakes... it means they are exercising the freedom of choice.

They still have lots of years ahead of them to correct those grievous misdeeds. :supergrin:

Jack

BTW... XDRoX... you may not have made the best choice in the world but you made a very, very good choice none the less. Congratulations and good luck.

HA! Take that kshutt. (Trouble maker... moderator, moderator... banish him to the Oprah network.)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Well done! You know your RCBS dies will run on the 550B? If you want to come up & practice a bit on mine, give a call.

10. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Thanks. I know my dies will work, but I figured I just wanted to give the Dillon ones a try. That way I can just leave them in there forever.:supergrin:
    Plus I can still use my RCBS and Lee dies on my single stage for other stuff.

Honestly I just like trying all the different brands to figure out all the differences. I have RCBS and Lee dies for my single stage press even though I didn't need them.

I'd love to drive up if I can find time. I'll let you know. I may have to call you for phone support setting it up if I can't figure out the instructions.
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  11. MisterLady27

MisterLady27

Oct 25, 2006
    w/ Lady 27
    Howdy All,

1. WST and my 650 get along very well in 9mm. The recipe I load more than any other is 4.2gr- 4.6gr of WST under 115gr. Light target stuff, yet it will cycle for the GGRLS (4.5gr-4.6gr).

2. I'll have to go back and look at the data for 124gr bullets. I've only loaded a couple 100's of the midweight 9 bullet. But I did get another 1000 shipped in the other day. In my experience, heavier bullet, less powder, less felt/perceived recoil and my 17s still cycle.

3. Welcome to GTR, it's a helpful and friendly bunch here. My .02 - test your loads for function(ask me how I know this:whistling:) - always buy bullets by the 1000.

ML27